Exit

Indesign help

Community Beginner ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, my name is Andreas.

I need help in indesign.

I created an epub and I need to have it in two languages. How do i do this? Do i create two separated documents (english and greek).

I have already designed the greek version.

Thanks.

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Ah that's a very specific requirement! It might be worth looking at using the InDesign plugin (at extra cost) in5 for this purpose: https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

The document would use an HTML5 browser rather than ePub reader and will possibly be more reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people would make a Greek text layer and also an English text layer. Hide or show the layer you want to work with.

Others would use conditional text and set it to show Greek or English.

Still others would prefer the clarity of working in two different documents to keep things simple.

But that depends on how you look at your workflow!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mike, thanks for your time.

I cannot find a turorial about creating an interactive button that hides/shows LAYERS. How do i do that?

Also, if i work on two different documents, there is no way to link an interactive button to an external file document.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a FXL ePub or a Reflowable ePub?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Derek,

it's a fixed one.

Regards,

Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may have a specific requirement to have the two languages in one document. But I would suggest that if you don't have that requirement, that you produce two editions – a Greek one and an English (Roman) one. It is likely (normally) that the reader would only want the one language, as they won't be able to read the other. Having two alphabets in one digital book may also possibly cause issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Derek,

the epub will be used at an infokiosk, for locals and tourists.

So the option to choose either greek or english will have to be at the intro page.

Regards,

Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ah that's a very specific requirement! It might be worth looking at using the InDesign plugin (at extra cost) in5 for this purpose: https://ajarproductions.com/pages/products/in5/

The document would use an HTML5 browser rather than ePub reader and will possibly be more reliable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines