• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign Hidden Characters on by default?

New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Indesign for quite some time now. I've never come across this issue. I know I can choose to show and hide "Hidden Characters", but I am currently working in some files included with a turtorial that has "Hidden Characters" automatically turned on with every file and it's driving me crazy. Is there a way to make "Hidden Characters" off permanently or by off by default until I choose to show them, or is this some setting that was made with the file? Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

With all documents closed. Switch the state of the hidden characters on/off using the Type menu. Henceforth all the documents you open will have this setting applied.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With all documents closed. Switch the state of the hidden characters on/off using the Type menu. Henceforth all the documents you open will have this setting applied.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this and it doesn't work. It remembers what setting you had for the individual documents, only if they are saved. Example, I have a document open. I turn off hidden characters and then close the document. I open it and it has hidden characters visible. I turn hidden characters off again, I make an edit, undo, then save the document. Close it. Open it and the hidden characters are off.

This app has the Hidden Characters feature tied to the save of each document. There should be a global option for this.

Any other solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UPDATE - I read turned off the Home screen in InDesign. Closed all documents. Had Hidden Characters turned off. Quit InDesign. Opened it, now it seems hidden characters are off with all my documents, so far. I'll confirm after a day's work.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines