Highlighted

Indesign - How do I "keep options" with different multiple tables?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! See the screenshots for a better understanding!

I'm trying to create a dynamic XML indesign folder with products. One product model is seperated in 2 different tables on top of eachother. However when the page ends it splits exactly between those 2 tables which belong to eachother. How do I keep 2 different tables near eachother?

Wanted result:
I want: if the model doesn't fit on the page it page breaks to a new page so every information that has to do with 1 product model keeps on 1 page.

I know how one table keep options work. And that works perfectly. However I can't find anywere how i'm supposed to do that with 2 different tables on top of eachother.

Many thanks!

Screenshot:

Schermafbeelding-2020-04-20-om-14.50.59.jpg

Correct answer by JustBetter | Community Beginner

Okay i've fixed it by creating a table within a table. I've created 1 table with 2 rows and 1 column. the first table within the first row and the second table within the second row of the table. Then i've enabled: Table -> Cell options -> rows and columns -> keep options -> Keep with next row

Thank you so much for helping!

Topics

Import and export, Print, Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Indesign - How do I "keep options" with different multiple tables?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! See the screenshots for a better understanding!

I'm trying to create a dynamic XML indesign folder with products. One product model is seperated in 2 different tables on top of eachother. However when the page ends it splits exactly between those 2 tables which belong to eachother. How do I keep 2 different tables near eachother?

Wanted result:
I want: if the model doesn't fit on the page it page breaks to a new page so every information that has to do with 1 product model keeps on 1 page.

I know how one table keep options work. And that works perfectly. However I can't find anywere how i'm supposed to do that with 2 different tables on top of eachother.

Many thanks!

Screenshot:

Schermafbeelding-2020-04-20-om-14.50.59.jpg

Correct answer by JustBetter | Community Beginner

Okay i've fixed it by creating a table within a table. I've created 1 table with 2 rows and 1 column. the first table within the first row and the second table within the second row of the table. Then i've enabled: Table -> Cell options -> rows and columns -> keep options -> Keep with next row

Topics

Import and export, Print, Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't a keep tables together option, just rows within a table. But if you put each table in its own paragraph, then you can define paragraph styles to keep the first paragraph with the second paragraph. That will take care of this for you, automatically.

x_example.gif

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey BarbBinder,

I've followed your instructions by assigning each table to a different paragraph style. (don't mind the styling haha)
But i'm not able to reproduce what you're doing. What am I doing wrong?

See video:
Oh i can't upload a video from selecting it locally.

See screenshot :

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-20 om 15.38.46.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an extra return between the two tables? You will have to accomodate that, as well. And both tables should have all rows set to keep together.

in.png

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey BarbBinder,

Could you please elaborate? English isn't my mothertongue. sorry for that.

Kind regards,

Jordy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!

It worked! However now i got another problem. Now my keep options within one table isn't working. What am i doing wrong there?

See screenshot:

Schermafbeelding 2020-04-20 om 15.51.30.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure.

Is that definitely one table that you are showing as selected? Try selecting it with Table > Select > Table to be sure the whole table is selected, and check the row keep settings again.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey BarbBinder,

I've been reorganizing my whole document and that fixes allot of my problems. However I can't seem to fix my original issue. (Keeping 2 different tables on 1 page).

You said: Give the tables 2 different tables a different paragraph. so when configuring the keep options indesign knows that you want to keep those 2 paragraph styles together. However when i try giving my tables a different paragraph style it keeps switching the same paragraph style for them both 😮

Could you please help me figure out what i'm doing wrong. This is the last issue that I have 😄

Kind regards,

Jordy

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workflow is a little tricky—you need to make sure that you have each table on its own ¶, and I can see from your last screen shot that you aren't (or weren't yesterday) consistent. Two are missing in the screenshot below.

in.png

Once each table is set up on its own ¶,  set up two styles: the first one might be called Table1 and that paragraph is set to keep with the next paragraph. The second style might be called Table2 and that one is NOT set to keep with the next paragraph.

If your layout alternates between the two tables, then the styles will need to alternate as well. This will force two tables to stay together while allowing the next table to break.

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are always happy to help.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines