• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign icon on files are generic white box after uninstalling previous version(2019) on Windows 7

Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed InDesign 2020 back in Sep or Oct, when it was released. At that time I did not uninstall InDesign 2019. The other day, I installed in the recent InDesign 2020 update and at that time remembered I had never previously uninstalled the old version. So I did the uninstall. Once uninstalled, all the .indd files now no longer have the Indesign icon. The will still open when double-clicked, so I know that the .indd file extension is associated with InDesign 2020, but no icon.

Interestingly, I did the exact same thing with Photoshop and Illustrator, but no icon problems there -only with InDesign. Any suggestions on how to fix?

{Renamed by MOD}

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

I would try to uninstall/reinstall InDesign. If that doesn't work, I would look at a regestry cleaner like CCleaner (not to be confused with Adobe's CC Cleaner).

https://www.ccleaner.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

On Windows 10 (InDesign 2024) I fixed the blank white icons by doing the following

1. Opened Default appliations in settings

2. Reset all file associations to Microsoft defaults

3. Checked file associations by file type - .INDD showed it did not have an application installed for it (weird) 

4. Right clicked an InDesign file > properties > change > selected Adobe Indesign 2024 and applied (icons still blank)

5. Checked file associations in settings again and it now showed .INDD was associated with In

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Thanks for reaching out. That sounds like a file assotication error. Please make sure that InDesign 2020 is set as default application for .indd, .indt and .idml files.

Please follow the steps shared on this help article (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/x-productkb/global/file-associations-broken-uninstall-applications.html) and let us know if this helps.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not the problem - as mentioned, double clicking on an .indd file opens InDesign. Furthermore,looking at the "Associate a file type with an Application" window, it shows  .indd files associated with InDesign 2020. You can see the generic white icon right there.

Interestingly, .idml and .idap files DO have the InDesign icon - but both.indd and .indt files do not. even though both say they are associated with InDesign 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, just realized that I never mentioned I am running Windows 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if it opens properly, try this:

1. Right-click on INDD file
  2. Go to Open With...
  3. Go to Choose Other App
  4. Select InDesign app (don't double click)
    1. If it doesn't show up, click More Apps...
  5. Click Always use this app check box
  6. Click OK

Note: terminology may differ for Win 7, but the process is basically the same.

If that doesn't work, check the icon on the app itself (in the Programs folder). If it is blank, uninstall InDesign and re-install it.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That does not work. the indd files are still blank. The InDesign .exe file in the Programs folder DOES have the icon..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try to uninstall/reinstall InDesign. If that doesn't work, I would look at a regestry cleaner like CCleaner (not to be confused with Adobe's CC Cleaner).

https://www.ccleaner.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This worked for me. Running WIndows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, I would like to know if the steps suggested above worked for you, or the issue still persists.
Kindly update the discussion if you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,
Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been on vacation, but no the problem is still not resolved. I have not yet tried uninstalling and reinstalling InDesign because of the time need to do that. I will give it a try when I get the chance. However, I see other people who have posted that uninstalling and reinstalling did not fix this issue..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could jump right to the registry cleaner option. However, depending on your internet connection and your admin access, un- and re-installing should be about a 10 minute job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am hopeful that reinstalling the application should fix the issue but before reinstalling InDesign try following these steps an let us know how it goes.

Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uninstalled and reinstalled and that fixed the problem. Also, just previously, my company had pushed out a Windows Update to my computer - not sure if that also affected things (but I still had to uninstall and reinstall before the icon came back).Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming. Give us a shout if you need help with anything else. 

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've the exact same problem on both Indesign App and Photoshop App ; I've all ready uninstall Indesign (did'nt try with Photoshop) from the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app but not from the dedicated program on window (I've to call my IT service to do so). It unfortunatly didn't work.

I also tried with my IT responsible to copy the shell folder from :

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Shell to C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe because the Shell folder was absent on that link but it didn't change anything.

PS : My Icon isn't blank but it's like a little indesign icon into a white page - it's basically just an esthetic problem but it's driving me nuts.

Just like Davidfox, I've tried to save an Indesign file .indd into .idml and the icon is normal !

Indesign Icon.png

Regard,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 26, 2020 Feb 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry about this frustration. Could you please check and confirm which is the default application (version) for InDesign files?

Go to Settings > Choose default apps by file type  > Select InDesign 2020

set default app.png set default app2.png

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

In fact that was already the case ... I'd already check that detail ...
The only thing I haven't done was a complete reinstallation of the
program from scratch but I need my IT Responsible for that and I think I
won’t convince him unless I’m sure that’s the only _working _solution
available.

Thx anyway perhaps someone found a solution to that problem.

Also how do I check if my installed version is in 32 or 64 bits because
I read that the 32 bits version could cause that particular problem?

PS : I hope my english is Ok

--
Olivia ROBIN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2024 Mar 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows 10 (InDesign 2024) I fixed the blank white icons by doing the following

1. Opened Default appliations in settings

2. Reset all file associations to Microsoft defaults

3. Checked file associations by file type - .INDD showed it did not have an application installed for it (weird) 

4. Right clicked an InDesign file > properties > change > selected Adobe Indesign 2024 and applied (icons still blank)

5. Checked file associations in settings again and it now showed .INDD was associated with InDesign (but icons still blank)

6. Restarted 'Windows explorer' in Task manager

7. Opened Windows explorer again and icons now showed InDesign icon normally

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the solution that worked for you. This issue has been reported to our Engineering team, and they are working on a permanent fix. You'll surely see an improvement in future releases. 

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines