Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign interactive form special character not printing

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

So I made an interactive form in InDesign CC to be filled and printed in other devices, that might not have adobe products to fill it. I tested it and could fill everything, everything works, except for the euro sign (€). It shows while filling the form, but trying to print it or save the document through the print page, it doesn't show. It isn't replace by any other symbol, simply doesn't show, as if nothing had been typed there. 

Does anyone know how to fix this? All the solutions I found so far aren't fitting for my problem.

TOPICS
Import and export , Print , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Did you add the € in the empty text field and the user types the number after it?

Instead, you can format whatever number is added to the field with the currency symbol (there is a dropdown list of options, including the euro), but this has to be added in Acrobat. InDesign doesn't have the capability.

~Barb 

acro.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Ensure that the form field calls for a Unicode (OpenType) font, and uses the Unicode character glyph for the Euro sign: Unicode 20AC, which produces that is readable by all computer technologies.

In the form field's Properties, are you able to set its format to use the € currency symbol by default?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you add the € in the empty text field and the user types the number after it?

Instead, you can format whatever number is added to the field with the currency symbol (there is a dropdown list of options, including the euro), but this has to be added in Acrobat. InDesign doesn't have the capability.

~Barb 

acro.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020 Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I added the currency in Acrobat, now it works perfectly. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ensure that the form field calls for a Unicode (OpenType) font, and uses the Unicode character glyph for the Euro sign: Unicode 20AC, which produces that is readable by all computer technologies.

In the form field's Properties, are you able to set its format to use the € currency symbol by default?

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was probably my problem, the font is not OpenType. Thanks for your answer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FYI, Unicode was universally accepted by the computer industry in 2000, and nearly all operating systems have completed the switch 20 years later.  OpenType is one kind of Unicode font.

Unless you intend to limit your designs to the standard ASCII characters that you can see on your keyboard (not the shortcut characters), I'd "retire" all those old TrueType and PostScript fonts for newer OpenType versions. You're going to continue to have this problem in the future, plus OpenType is required for EPUBs and accessible PDFs.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines