• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign Interactive PDF not working when exporting

New Here ,
Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created an interactive PDF with buttons with the show/hide buttons function. It works in preview mode but when I export it I click on the buttons and the components I have hidden do not show up, I can click on the buttons but nothing happens. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or where I am going wrong. 

[Moving from generic Start/Help forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]
[To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/]

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 07, 2020 Feb 07, 2020

The interactivity should be working if you are using Acrobat 9 or later. For any other PDF viewer it probably will not be. It usually is a good idea to alert people who will be viewing your interactive PDFs that they can download the free Acrobat Reader from Adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you viewing this PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature will not work on many devices and readers, it's best to stick to simple hyperlinks with Interactive PDFs or choose another format; FXL ePub, InDesign's Publish Online or in5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The interactivity should be working if you are using Acrobat 9 or later. For any other PDF viewer it probably will not be. It usually is a good idea to alert people who will be viewing your interactive PDFs that they can download the free Acrobat Reader from Adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, yes this totally worked! It was opening on the default 'preview', I tried it with acrobat reader and it works! I think I will just have to let people know to open it with that instead of their desktops default preview. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a similar problem. I created a menu that will be shown when pressing a button, using the show/hide function. The menu comes up the screen I can press the bookmark buttons and they jump to the according page. 

The problem I have is that the menu stays on the screen in the following next pages. Sometimes it doesn't react at all, the buttons stay in rollover state even if the mouse is not on the button or the close button disappears, I can still click on other buttons but they won't respond. I didn't have this problem previously, I only changed some colors in my pdf.

I have a button that triggers the menu with the show/hide function,

a close button that closes the menu with the show/hide function,

the menu items are hidden until triggered option is checked,

I use Adobe CC everything is up-to-date. And I open the pdf with Acrobat to test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These roll-overs won't work on many devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it did work previously without any problems. Also, it's triggered with a click the rollover is only there for the user to let them know it's a button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These types of buttons won't work on mobile devices like the iPad and iPhone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most interactivity won't work at all in an interactive PDF. More info:

https://ajarproductions.com/blog/2018/03/26/interactive-pdf-is-dead-heres-what-you-can-create-from-i...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys it worked for me the steps are:

1- File

2- Export

3- EPUB (Fixed layout)

4- then it's going to open in BOOKS 

I'm using Mac and InDesign 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this has what to do with PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used this way as an alternative because exporting as PDF was not moving the animation in the Indesign PDF file. However, when I exported the InDesign file as EPUB, everything worked perfectly fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if you're working on a PC what application will it work in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What application will WHAT work in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure because I used mac 🙏🏼

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i know this problem was resolved but i had a similar issue with interactive PDF's. the issue i found was that when exporting from InDesign using the PRESET export Interactive option, the interactivity would no longer function. however, if i use EXPORT and then in the dialog box that appears choose Interactive from the dropdown menu, the interactivity worked beautifully. only took me about 3 days and countless hrs of web searching to figure that one out. hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reliable interactivity in a PDF are hyperlinks to other parts of the document or to an external website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

perhaps "reliable" is the operative word?... though i have had decent success with hyperlinks as well as form fields and buttons working as expected across mac and pc. just an FYI for the disheartened.   😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines