• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Issues BigSur

Engaged ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi. In BigSur Indesign has become a real problem.

I have a macbook pro 2020.

1. Slow start

2. There is constant, short beach balls, like we have ran out of memory. Its not a permanant crash situation its bit of work - beachball - bit of work - beachball

3. I am working with a bit of arabic text, if this is on screen indesign is really hard to work with, constant beachballs all the time

4. In 2021 the font menu is still a total dog

5. Sometimes restarting the mac gives me a decent bit of speed back but over time its gets more and more doggy.

6. The issue is further compounded if I hook up to my 49 inch display.

I dont know if this is apple or adobe, but it sure would be great if they communicated with each other over why in 2021 adobe apps perform more poorley than 10 years ago.

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you're having problems with InDesign 2021 and Big Sur but it's NOT a general problem. It must be something in your setup. How much RAM and how many applications open?

I have a 2016 MacBook Pro with 16 Gb of memory and Big Sur (macOS 11.3.1). I have no problems at all with InDesign 2021 and I use it most of the day. The application opens from the Desktop in about 7 seconds. I never get beach balls on the files I run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I dont know what to say. My files are relatively simple, except I guess when doing arabic. Tends to just be text.

16 gigs of ram.

May have illustrator open, usualy mail and safari

I have no plugins etc, and big sur is a recent clean in stall as it was my wifes laptop but we swapped.

Its a horrid experience, and I am not just comparing to my pc where things are fundamentally better, but just in isolation, its difficult to use the app, I have to restart the mac constantly. Because nothing is 'crashing' per say its impposible to see where the issue is coming from. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried using the Adobe Cleaner Tool to remove the applications and them reinstall them?

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.htmlhttps://helpx...

Delete InDesign preferences with shortcuts

You can delete the replaceable InDesign SaveData and InDesign Defaults files by holding down the following keys while InDesign is launching:

• Windows: Shift+Ctrl+Alt
  • Mac OS: Shift+Control+Option+Command

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am happy to give all these a try but on the basis these apps have been installed onto a brand new operating system for just over a month, it seems a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It doesn't matter how long it was installed. There could have been an unrelated update that changed something else.

I've seen it on brand new computers with brand new installs. 

Things go wrong. It's a computer. There are fixes and things to try to get it working again.

I won't even get into the brand new car I bought that constantly had a red engine light a month after buying it.

Things happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a MacBook Pro 2018, 16GB, Big Sur, latest InDesign, I mostly type and place Arabic/English text with no issues.

Some of the symptoms you mentioned could be related to a bad font. I would do the following, close InDesign, remove all suspected fonts from your system or "Document Fonts" folder, place back the suspected fonts one by one, then launch InDesign after each time you place a new font in the system to see which font may be causing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines