• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign JPG exports as wrong DPI

Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export a full page JPG from InDesign the settings aren't applying. I typically export the file as a CMYK 300 dpi file. When I open the file in Photoshop, it says the file is 300 dpi. But when I open the file in Preview, the file is 72 dpi. My developer using it in the background says it's importing at 72 dpi in his 3rd party document composition software as well. Any ideas why or if this is a bug?

InDesign export to JPG option panelInDesign export to JPG option panelImage Size in PhotoshopImage Size in PhotoshopImage Size in Preview and non-Adobe productsImage Size in Preview and non-Adobe products 

Forced to resize using PreviewForced to resize using Preview

 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the Effective PPI of your image in InDesign?

By the way, the correct term is PPI for images -- DPI is for printer resolution.

You should normally have your images in RGB color mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are a printing company. So I always export as CMYK at 300ppi. The image is imported into another piece of software, where dynamic data is overlaid on top of the background image. I'm unsure why when I specify I want 300 ppi for my file, it would open as 72 in non-Adobe software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[remarks removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the shaming, John. If I could supply anything other than a JPG I would. Please don't be rude if you can't answer my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sincerely apologize if my post came off as rude.I realize now it was direct enough to read as rather turse. I'm sorry.

And, at my age it's hard to remember that pointing out when something is being done incorrectly is considered "shaming". So I guess the shaming shaming I've now received serves me right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the apology. I do understand what I'm creating is not best practice. However it's due to a limitation of one of the legacy platforms our developer is placing the image into. It does not accept PDF as a background unfortunately. I'm forced to export a JPEG from InDesign which is not rendering at the same scale as how the file opens in Photoshop. When I export as a PDF, then export the JPEG from Acrobat, it's correct. Seems like a bug that one application exports at the correct scale and the other does not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for understanding, and I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's a true bug per se; just the way the different applications work, coupled with the fact that image resolution isn't really a physical property of the image, and as such can be a "reporting" issue. I think Rob Day has already sorted it out about as well as anyone will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im not seeing the same when I compare the exported JPEG in the two apps with no changes.

Are you by any chance resaving from Photoshop via Save For Web?

Photoshp’s Save for Web removes the output dimension metadata, which isn’t needed for the web—the resolution will be 72ppi, and the output dimensions are scaled up proportioanlly.

The export opened in PS

Screen Shot 16.png

The export opened directly into Apple’s Preview v10

Screen Shot 17.png

Resaved via Photoshop’s Save for Web and opened into Preview

Screen Shot 18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the Command+E shortcut to export as JPEG. Also, RGB files export correctly. CMYK does not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The document is set up for Print and I'm choosing this option: 

Carrie1674_0-1600811452184.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you print from a JPG, rather than from the usual PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I’m seeing the Preview problem with CMYK, but Photoshop reads the output dimension correctly.

If it is for print why export to JPEG? Can’t you export a PDF? That would leave all of the vector page items unchanged, and resolution wouldn’t be an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The program I'm supplying the images for does not accept PDF. I can only supply the backgroun to them in PNG or JPEG. The transparencies in PNG are not desired, so I'm forced to provide them with a full page letter-sized JPEG. When they take my 300ppi image and import it into their program, it renders at 72ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using InDesign>File>Export to export the page design as a PDF and as a JPG. Both formats are required for the operation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which one gets printed? If the JPEG is an FPO then the color mode wouldn’t matter.

The CMYK export dropping the output dimension metadata seems like a borderline bug, but then Photoshop is reading it correctly. The  2550 x 3300 pixel dimensions are correct, so resetting the output dimensions in Preview might be a solution. Or, if it is resized to 8.5" x 11" in the composition app its effective resolution should be back to 300ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob! The PDF is what is used for print (luckily). The JPEG image I believe is used for online viewing...Terrible I know. I think you are right that the color probably doesn't matter and RGB can suffice. 

I do agree it's a bug, but wasn't sure if it was happening to others or if there was a legitimate reason for the performance I'm seeing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The JPEG image I believe is used for online viewing...Terrible I know. I think you are right that the color probably doesn't matter and RGB can suffice.

If the color appearance matters, you probably want the export to be to sRGB, or make sure the document’s RGB color profile is embedded on the export, so the color appearance is maintained in the web view. Modern browsers will use embedded profiles for the preview, but if there’s a chance the profile wont make it to the final HTML page you would want the sRGB conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, you can change the size back to 8.5 x 11 in the Preview app and resave (but an exported PDF would be better). Works the same as PS, just uncheck Resample:

Screen Shot 19.png

Screen Shot 20.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm taking this extra step now. Just confused why InDesign gives an option to export at 300 ppi if not all readers open it as 300ppi. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably because expor to JPEG is an option designed for the web.

So you can export it as 300 ppi - but it increases the dimensions of the pixels - so the PPI is set to 72 ppi for the web.

You just need to change the dimensions to 300 to get the width and height correct.

What you're using it for is not what it was designed for - and I'd imagine it was a software engineers decision to have it work that way. 

You can request a feature here https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene, I can confirm that Carrie’s problem is limited to CMYK exports—Photoshop correctly reads the exported output dimensions and resolution, but for some reason when the mode is CMYK Apple’s Preview, and I assume other non Adobe apps, can’t read the output dimensions, and defaults to 72ppi with the output dimensions scaled—8.5" scales to 35.42".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I said - it was probably a software engineer who decided to go this way with the export option. I can't confirm. But just a thought really.

Another thought on it might be that because it's CMYK, and a JPEG, that Apple preview or other previews are expecting RGB for JPEG, and as such, converts the preview to what should be RGB, and then reverts the reading to 72 PPI??? 

Just thinking out loud. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines