• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign keeps crashing on my new mac

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just bought a new mac, but InDesign keeps crashing when I copy and paste from another document.

I also happens with Illustrator and Photoshop.

If it doesn't crash when I am using it, then it will crash at some point when my mac is in standby/power saving mode so I need to reopen it again every time I want to use it.

I am using the most up to date versions of the software (there are no updates), and my mac is using Catalina 10.15.6.

It's pretty frustrating because it's a brand new mac.

Does anybody know how I can resolve this?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much RAM do you have?

Try resetting your InDesign Preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

(Is that ram?)

Do you know how I reset my InDesign preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm happy to help if I can, but I've got some questions here:

• You say you're copying/pasting from other documents. Are those between InDesign document files to InDesign document files? From Illustrator and Photoshop to InDesign? From files in other programs to InDesign/Illustrator/Photoshop? Depending on which of these situations you're creating, there will be different solutions to suggest. But as a general rule, you don't want to be moving files from any program into InDesign or Illustrator through the clipboard by copying and pasting. That introduces lots of problems, including the ones you're describing here. You want to always use the File>Place menu command to put content from other programs into InDesign and Illustrator. There are some instances where copying/pasting from other programs will work with Photoshop, but it's a much better workflow to first open those files from other programs in Photoshop, then, if needed, copy/paste the content between files opened in Photoshop.
  • You say you have a new Mac, but there are lots of new Macs for sale today which have configurations that aren't suited for work with Adobe Creative Cloud programs — especially if you have multiple CC programs open at the same time. If you could share what your new Mac system is and what its configuration is: amount of RAM, amount of storage space, etc., it'll help us understand if that contributes or aggravates your issues or not.

Please share that extra information with us, and we'll be better able to help you with your problems.

Happy to lend a hand,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Randy.

- Today it is happening when I copy and paste text from one Indesign text box, into another Indesign text box - within the same document. Yesterday it was happening when I copied text from one indesign document into a text box in a separate indesign text box. It has also happened when I have copied text from a MS Word document into an InDesign text box.

- I do use the file>place command. But I work with text a lot. So I constantly need to be able to copy and paste text from emails / Word / Indesign

- My Mac is:

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

Processor: 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Memory: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Storage I have 1.18TB available out of 2TB.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you've certainly got enough of a hot-rodded Mac to run all this stuff. So we can safely set that possibility aside.

But let me ask: If you use that File>Place menu command to place your MSWord files, does the system crash? It's an extra step to highlight all that text in your other InDesign doc and use the File>Export... menu command and save your selection in Rich Text Format (*.rtf) file format, but does that work better too? It's gotta take a lot less time than recovering a crashed InDesign document by refiring the app, recovering from the last saved version and redoing what may have been lost from the temp file.

You'll get a minimal amount of file pollution by accumulating those interim *.rtf files you properly place within InDesign, but it's a lot less file overhead — and a ton less potential future complication — than creating a lot of crashed *.tmp files from CC applications on your system. It may not be your preferrred workflow, but if it works better for you and doesn't crash your system, it's probably the better one. It's likely the one that'll cause a lot less pain in the long run.

I mean no disrespect. I'm just trying to offer what I think will be the best way to get you past your issues.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Randy.

I'm not file - placing word documents. I'm just copying some text from a word document, and pasting it into an InDesign text frame. The work I do has lots of amends where the client just wants to change one sentence or one word etc... so i'm just talking about coping a line of text from a word document, and then pasting it within a text frame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then, would it make more sense to just do that change within the InDesign document?

Just trying to help ...

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to go all hillbilly, but there's an old joke where a guy goes to the doctor and picks up his leg and stands on one foot, then says "Doc, it hurts when I do that."

The doctor replies "Then don't do that."

You've identified the problem, and it seems there are easy ways to work around the issue, but it seems you want to keep repeating the problem. Perhaps the simplest solution is just don't do that.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure you understand what I mean. I am making the change within InDesign.

I create hundreds of brochures for my clients. I design them all in InDesign. Then my clients send me a word document with some text changes that they want to make to specific pages or sentences. So, I need to copy the sentence from the Word document, and then paste the new text into the InDesign document, replacing the wrong text.

Whatever I need to design in InDesign, there are times when I need to go back into the document at a later date, and change some of the text. Sometimes I need to copy the text from an email, or from Whatsapp, or from a Word document. When I 'paste' the text, having copied it from somewhere else, then InDesign crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reset your Preferences:

1) Close InDesign
2) Double click on Adobe InDesign's icon to launch it
3) QUICKLY hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift. (for Windows) or CTL+OPT+CMD+Shift (for Mac OS X)
4) When a dialog appears, ask you “Delete InDesign Preference Files?” Click Yes.

(If you don't see the question do it again.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Derek. I tried those steps but it didn't work. It still keeps crashing.

I have a 'problem report' which is a long list of code. It opens every time it crashes. Would that be useful if I shared that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear this. Have you submitted the crash report? If not, please follow the steps shared here

While submitting the crash report please use the same email address, with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly. 

Once done, please try the steps I shared earlier and share your observations with us. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you've told us the actual app versions in use. A lot of people say "up to date" but what's really broken is the updater. So please post actual version numbers from ABOUT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I do 'about' in InDesign it says version: 15.1.2.226

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 06, 2020 Sep 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this trouble. In addition to the suggestions shared above, please try the steps shared here and share your observations with us.

Let us know if this helps or the issue still persists.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

I have figured out that both InDesign and Illustrator mainly keep crashing once my computer goes into sleep mode. When I reawaken the mac the apps have crashed and I need to reopen. Sometimes it happens when I am using the apps, but it's mainly after reawakening from sleep mode.

I have tried your steps:

Testing in safe mode

InDesign and Illustrator open fine in test mode 

Testing in root account

InDesign and Illustrator open fine in root account

I'm unsure now which steps I need to follow to resolve the issue? What do the results of the two tests tell me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2020 Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Are you able to continue to assist me with the issues i'm having? I replied above with the tests you asked me to do....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delayed response. If InDesign works fine in the root account, then the issue could be related to permissions. Follow the steps below to repair the permissions in your user account. 

• Go to Terminal (Go > Utilities > Terminal.app) 
  • Execute the following command on terminal to provide permission: 
  • sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign 
  • sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign 
  • sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support

I have two updates for you. Crashing in sleep mode and while editing text in macOS Mojave has been reported by a few other users as well and our team is working on it. Please post this issue on our UserVoice page and share the link here. 

This way you'll keep getting all the updates related to this issue and other users can also upvote it.

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also on Catalina, not Mojave, so I don't think the updates will work for me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Thanks for your help. Your response has been marked as the 'correct answer', but unfortunately it has not resolved my issue.

I executed the first two commands without a problem, but the third command failed. I have included a screenshot below of the response from the third command:

• "sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support"

Screenshot 2020-10-08 at 11.44.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

It has been 10 months since I started having the problem with InDesign randomly crashing 6/7 times a day. As I mentioned before it was a brand new mac. Apple say it is an issue with Adobe Indesign so I am keen to try and resolve it. Can you help me?

I have just tried the steps above with repairing the permissions using Terminal, but I get error messages for each of the three commands saying no such file/folder exists. Screenshot attached.

Could this be why I am having issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 28, 2021 May 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, the problem (the immediate problem) is that the commands you have typed are wrong. This isn't surprising as the example commands were wrong too. They assumed you knew and understood command lines and the rules. In particular, a file name that contains spaces must be in quotes. But frankly, if you don't know command lines it is really better not to try, type one character wrong and you may wipe your disk. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Srishti,

Thanks for your help. Your response has been marked as the 'correct answer', but unfortunately it has not resolved my issue.

I executed the first two commands without a problem, but the third command failed. I have included a screenshot below of the response from the third command:

• "sudo chmod -R 777 /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support"

Screenshot 2020-10-08 at 11.44.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines