Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign keeps crashing with m1 chip

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

When I use indesign on my brand new m1 chip macbook, it keeps crashing. Not only does the program crash, my computer gets the spinning beachball and completely freezes. Force stop doesn't work either. It seems to get triggered by using an external screen and scrolling.

I have tried reinstalling all the adobe programs and I even erased and reinstalled my laptop. Including reinstalling the Rosetta 2 software that should make the intel chip software work on my m1.

I'm desperate. I tried Apple, but they are blaming Adobe, and Adobe is blaming Apple!

P.s. When is the M1 compatile indesign coming?! I need it.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Just about all the trouble I was having with InDesign and Illustrator crashes on an M1 Macbook were resolved by unchecking “GPU Performance” in the preferences. It degrades some display issues, especially when dragging objects around the screen, but seems ot have done the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

We are extremely sorry to hear about this trouble. I completely understand how frustrating these crashes could be. We are already working on  native support for M1 chipset, however, current version should also you work using Rosetta 2 technology. 

To investigate this issue further we would need a few more details like:

• Exact version of InDesign
  • Share crash report by following these steps ( https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html  ).
    While submitting the crash report please use the same email address, with which you are signed in on this community. This will help us find the crash report and help accordingly. 
  • When did this start happening? Were you working on a different machine earlier and same files were working fine there?
  • Is the issue related to a specific document/ tool/ feature/ workflow? If yes, please do share details by sharing a video of workflow or  the document? You can upload it to the Creative Cloud (https://helpx.adobe.com/in/creative-cloud/help/share.html) and share the download link. 

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version of Indesign is 15.1.

Crash report doesn't open, eventhough the box is ticked. 

It had happened form the beginning on, since installing the adobe suite on my new M1 chip macbook. It happens everytime when working, but it is more likely to happen when connected to a bigger screen or when scrolling through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Number one, you should be running the most current version of InDesign. There will never be a fix for InDesign 2020 but you have a shot with 2021.

Number two: It's not going to happen overnight but if you want to look into joining the prerelease program, it's under developement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I'm using the latest version at the moment. At least, in the creative cloud it says InDesign is "up to date".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. I crash about once an hour.

I also use a plugin (Easycatalog by 65bit) and that seems to make things even worse.

Totally unacceptable that a major firm like Adobe (with steep subscription fees) is lagging behind so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just about all the trouble I was having with InDesign and Illustrator crashes on an M1 Macbook were resolved by unchecking “GPU Performance” in the preferences. It degrades some display issues, especially when dragging objects around the screen, but seems ot have done the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry about the inconvenience caused. The first Beta release of InDesign for Apple silicon M1 is now available to download. Please try installing by following the instructions on this page and share your observations with us.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked out well! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear that, Nina.  In case you notice any unexpected behavior, please flag it immediately. We'd be happy to help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2022 Mar 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues. I tried the 17.2 prerelease yesterday with now improvement. 

Adobe tech support has tried all the can and directed me to apple who had me reinstall IOS with no improvement for this issue. 

Are there any recent updates to fix the crashing and slow performance? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I had this exact same problem. InDesign never gave me any problems until I got my M1 Macbook Pro. Then it constantly crashed, corrupted files, would flicker menus but not long enough for me to click on them, wouldn't work if I embedded a .ai image, wouldn't save changes...terrible! I used your fix - went to Preferences / GPU Performance and unchecked the 'GPU Performance' box AND ALL THE PROBLEMS WENT AWAY. Boom. Like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am running the latest updated version of InDesign and didn't have to go to the beta version listed here to fix everything either. Just uncheck that box and you're set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines