• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign linking to Acrobat

New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please forgive my lack of technical knowledge here...

But what I have done is created an interactive PDF in indesign with form fields - each with the font size adjusted and correct font selected.

I then open this in acrobat, fill the form fields with a text file this I then export. Now the problem I have is that the PDF looks perfect on my computer but as soon as I send to myself or anyone else and they open it all the font field boxes are the wrong font completely.

I have used fonts:

Space Mono

Neue Haas Grotesk Text Pro

Any help would be much appreciated

TOPICS
How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Mentor , Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

>>  I have is that the PDF looks perfect on my computer

and 

>> but as soon as I send to myself 

These two things that can't live in parallel. Are you really use it same Adobe Reader to look your PDF?

>> but I dont know how to embed a font. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/pdf-options.html#font_embedding_and_substitution

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

InDesign should embed fonts automatically unless it can't. Some fonts have a setting to prevent embedding.

You can check to see if the font is embedded in Acrobat by going to the File>Properties menu. In the Fonts tab, you should see Embedded or Embedded Subset. When viewing on another computer, be sure to use Adobe Acrobat Reader (free) for best viewing and make sure the font is NOT installed on the other computer.

2020-07-29_10-53-32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When making the PDF did you check that the fonts are embedded ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey giantraining - 

My skills are pretty basic so excuse me - but I dont know how to embed a font. 

Is that in the export from InDesign or in Adobe Acrobat?

Thanks again

Martyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use system fonts for the fields.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the problem - I had a graphic designer design pdf which used different fonts and am

trying to make it work.

so looking for a work around

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although you could embed the font(s), I would change the field fonts back to the default sans-serif font as Derek suggested. From the end user's viewpoint, forms are a necessary evil and not a work of [graphic design] art.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ok - well this is not really an option to have the form fields as different font as it just won't work.

I have managed to create a work around - where I can fill the form fields in adobe acrobat - make it look great, export as JPEG's then combine back together as a PDF!

Slightly long-winded but I can't use a different font as the fonts I have chosen are all through my brand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case, embed the font as gianttraining suggested. 

BTW, I could see your branding font used on the page design itself, but is it really necessary to use it in the form fields? As a user, would I really care (or would I notice the difference) if my name shows up in Neue Haas Grotesk Text Pro vs. Helvetica or Myriad Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @idea-training,

Sorry I am not massively proficient on adobe acrobat... How can I embed the following fonts?

I have 3 fonts that don't seem to work
Jinky - hand written font
Neue Haass - I agree doesnt make much of a difference

Space Mono - which is used a lot to populate on fields that need to be populated

In my case it is a recipe card.. the method never changes but the amounts of ingredients and nutritional information does.

So that is why there is some areas that need to populate in the same text.

Thanks again

Martyn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign should embed fonts automatically unless it can't. Some fonts have a setting to prevent embedding.

You can check to see if the font is embedded in Acrobat by going to the File>Properties menu. In the Fonts tab, you should see Embedded or Embedded Subset. When viewing on another computer, be sure to use Adobe Acrobat Reader (free) for best viewing and make sure the font is NOT installed on the other computer.

2020-07-29_10-53-32.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>  I have is that the PDF looks perfect on my computer

and 

>> but as soon as I send to myself 

These two things that can't live in parallel. Are you really use it same Adobe Reader to look your PDF?

>> but I dont know how to embed a font. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/pdf-options.html#font_embedding_and_substitution

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My case is not related to InDesign but to acrobat reader. When I want to fill and sign document and use Polish character it automatically changes the font to Times New Roman and includes MinionPro-Regular in the document. I removed this annoying font from windows fonts directory but Acrobat still uses it. Where else I is the place to completely throw out this font from the system?

RIA-DEVELOP_0-1603951605297.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok removed this faulty font from following location and now it uses MyriadPro which looks better.
c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Resource\Font\MinionPro-Regular.otf

RIA-DEVELOP_0-1603952722012.png

Seems the problem what I had since years now is now resolved!
Hope this helps someone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines