• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign makes vector graphics and text thicker when I perform seemingly unrelated actions.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I am trying to do two things: Place a background image on my layout, and add Object Effects (Outer Glow, Drop Shadow, etc.) to one of my placed EPS graphics.

However, I'm experiencing an extremely strange issue. Whenever I try to place a PNG image anywhere on my layout (I could use JPG and EPS, but I'd rather fix the issue than dance around it) or when I try to give anything an Effect, ALL of the text and vector graphics on my layout are automatically given a thicker, bolded appearance, despite being unrelated to the actions I am attempting to perform. The added thickness is not a stroke, as the "flavor text" still has a 0 stroke. No objects are not grouped, and each individual element on my layout are on separate, locked Layers as to avoid accidental edits to objects I'm not currently working with. It isn't a visual discrepancy, as the issue persists on an exported PDF file.

I haven't encountered anything this puzzling before. Examples of my issue are below. Help is very much appreciated! 

P.S. I'm not sure which Topic this goes in, because I am unsure if it is a Bug, and the problem isn't exclusively with the Type.

TOPICS
Bug , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please excuse the typo:

"No objects are not grouped" should be: "No objects are grouped". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I ask why are you working with .eps? You should be placing a .ai file instead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I never encounter any problems when using .eps over .ai, other than not being able to edit the vector's layers directly in InDesign. That doesn't bother me since I work more comfortably using the native program. I use .eps mostly because I still have to share these individual vectors with my friends that don't use Adobe. 

Regardless, I tried using .ai files instead of .eps and my problem still persists, so there's no reason to go further into my preferences here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines