Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign multilanguage catalog

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

We have client, who have in indesign catalog. They have 22 different languages and we looking something to translate in each country someone and send to us file to import different language in indesign quick without copy-paste.
The text frames and tables are in same position for all languages.
Have someone solution for this?
Thank you.
Simon
TOPICS
How to , Import and export , InCopy workflow , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would the catalog be built ? Starting from data source (csv, xml, whatever) or updating an existing catalog and create localized versions ?

If you have some data source to rely on, my best advice is using EasyCatalog from 65Bits software or inCatalog from EMSoftware. I know better the first one and always thougt it was a great way to tackle localized catalogs.

If teh client hasn't any data source, you may think of working with yur client to build one and use it for catalog assembling. It's always a good plan for future updates.

Worst case scenario,  you can only work with "copy/paste" and you may give a try at Redokun (https://redokun.com/) to share files to be translated and imported back in InDesign.

Hope that helps

Loic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have catalog and they want to connect with some program to translate. Also we will build new catalog, but first we must prepaire this one. This catalog have 400 pages and is chalenge to create data base. I also see this EasyCatalog. I must try program. Thank you for help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you need a translation company, though it's not clear if you are talking about 22 separate catalogs in different languages, or snippets of 22 languages throughout one catalog.

Either way, machine translation is unreliable and often results in humor where none is intended. Most translation companies use Trados or other systems that translate into your InDesign file and return it in InDesign.

Each language could be on a separate layer, or separate InDesign files could be created.

If you would like a referral for a reliable company (not mine, but one we've used for years), please DM me, as I'm not sure company referrals are accepted in forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have in all country people who translate, but looking some program to connect with indesign for past pasting text in indesign. Copy-paste in for 400 pages a long time to create catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You could look into id-extra's translation system (https://www.id-extras.com/products/translate/). Even if (as is likely) that system can't be used as is for your purposes, do contact the author (Ariel Walden), he'll probably be able to do a some customised version for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines