Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Not Compatible

New Here ,
Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm required to download InDesign (and other Adobe Creative Cloud programs) for a class I'm taking at my university. However, every time I try to download InDesign, it says that my computer is "Not Compatible." Whenever I click on the "Not Compatible" button, I get this message: "If you would like to install InDesign, you must update your system" (I attached an image of the pop-up if that helps)! However, when I go to update my computer, it shows that I'm all up-to-date (I also attached an image of the message). I'm not very tech-savvy, but I'm pretty sure my computer should be compatible with InDesign and other Adobe Creative Cloud Programs. I use a MacBook Air that I got in January of 2016. Let me know if there are any solutions that you know of!

Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Hi Aaron:

Here are the system requirements for InDesign. Start by working your way down the list. If your system falls short of these specs, InDesign will not install.

~Barb 

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 9.14.41 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 01, 2020 Sep 01, 2020

Hi Aaron.

On your Mac, there are actually two places where you can find updates. If you go to your Apple menu>App Store... menu command and check the Updates panel, this will often list only the individual applications within your OS that need updates, not always the MacOS itself. If you return to the Home panel, at the top you will see the opportunity to update to the latest version of the MacOS for your system, with a Download button.

If you open your Apple Menu>Settings menu command and o

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of MacOS are you running? You may need to update your MacOS version if you are still running the MacOS version that was current when you bought your computer over four years ago.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron:

Here are the system requirements for InDesign. Start by working your way down the list. If your system falls short of these specs, InDesign will not install.

~Barb 

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 9.14.41 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron.

On your Mac, there are actually two places where you can find updates. If you go to your Apple menu>App Store... menu command and check the Updates panel, this will often list only the individual applications within your OS that need updates, not always the MacOS itself. If you return to the Home panel, at the top you will see the opportunity to update to the latest version of the MacOS for your system, with a Download button.

If you open your Apple Menu>Settings menu command and open the Notifications icon, (your first hint might be that there is a red circle at the upper-right of the icon), you may also see a notification to update your operating system.

Before you do that, be advised that any 32-bit applications, or 32-bit applications adapted to run in a 64-bit environment, you have installed on your Mac will be obsoleted by the upgrade to the latest version MacOS Catalina 10.15.6. As long as that isn't an issue, getting your 2016 MacBook Air up to speed with Catalina should let you be able to run Creative Cloud 2020 apps. Not quickly — the minimum requirement for 4GB of RAM is more realistically 8GB with a lot of patience, and preferably a minimum of 16GB to run multiple apps smoothly.

Good luck,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues with my IOs not being compatable.  I am running Sierra and my computer was purchased in 2010.  When I try to update my IOs it says that there are no updates available?

What can be done to update my Adobe Suite to work at home?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll be blunt here. It's time for a new computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2022 Feb 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Older Macs will stop upgrading if they can't handle the newer OS--this is an Apple issue.

If no OS upgrades are available, either stay with an older version of the Adobe software or get a new system. Assuming you are a student, the latter might be difficult. If you need to use an older version of the software, you might want to get the installer for future installs in case they are not available through the Creative Cloud app. 

<Link Removed By Moderator>

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Susie229495298xer:

From a Mac perspective, you can visit the Apple forum to ask about upgrading the OS: 

https://www.apple.com/ug/macos/how-to-upgrade/

From an InDesign perspective, you can install either of the last two releases: 2021 and 2022. Since this post is two years old, here are the system requirements for 2022:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements.html

And the requirements for 2021:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/system-requirements/2021.html

If your computer doesn't meet the listed system requirements, you will need to upgrade the computer to run InDesign. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines