• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign opening two files

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open a recent indesign file, the program is also opening the file next to it in the history, can anyone suggest how to stop this happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Hi Geoff,

I am sorry to hear about this issue. Were you able to get your system upgrade? Does that help in resolving the issue? Even if you are on Windows 7 please make sure that Service pack 1 is installed. Do try these steps and let us know if that helps:

• Preferences reset: Set preferences in Adobe InDesign (Resetting preferences will remove all the custom settings and InDesign will launch with default settings. You can also take a backup of the folders in case you want to. Location is mentioned

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're provided no further information: Please tell us exact InDesign version? Operating system? How are you opening the files? Does this happen every time or only with certain files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Indesign 2019 and it has the latest update, when i open the program, go to open recent files, I click on one and it opens two files.

having checked it several times it always seems to be the one next to it in the history. It was working fine until an upgrade a couple of months ago.

Another problem that started at the same time is when I first open indesign and go to use the text tool, the program freezes for approximately one minute.

The operating system is windows 10 downgraded to win7,

Thanks for you help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Windows 10 and the latest InDesign then why are you downgrading to Windows 7? Try not using Windows 7 compatibility mode and see if the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill

I don't do the company IT so I have to work with what I am given.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you'll have to explain the problem you're having to your IT department and ask for their assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair comment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Geoff,

I am sorry to hear about this issue. Were you able to get your system upgrade? Does that help in resolving the issue? Even if you are on Windows 7 please make sure that Service pack 1 is installed. Do try these steps and let us know if that helps:

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2019 Apr 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I haven't got an upgrade to the OS but resetting the preferences has sorted out the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2019 Apr 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for confirming. I am glad I was able to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had the same identical problem for a long time. I upgraded my PC computer last year and have all the latest Windows 10 updates but Indesign still opens two files when I go to 'recent' on the new one, just like it did on the old Windows 7 computer I was using. I suspect it is an Adobe issue and has nothing to do directly with Windows. I will try resetting my preferences and see it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing all the details. I would like to know if resetting preferences helped you to resolve the issue? If not, would you mind sharing a few more details like:

Looking forward to your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2019 Sep 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. It's quite annoying, actually. I have re-set my preferences in the past, and it seems to work for a while, but then will just start opening two files again. And I often have trouble re-setting the preferences, since you have to catch it at just the exact right time during the start-up process. Adobe needs to make it easier to reset preferences (ie, a menu option that doesn't need fancy keystrokes to access). And they need to fix this two-for-one document opening glitch, since it seems to be a widespread issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happening to me. I double clink recent file and the last two recent files open. I have all the updates. Windows 10, Latest InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2019 Dec 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue too, since the latest 2020 update. Its irritating, but not crucial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same issue.  It usually happens if I copy something from a second file (text or an image) to place in a new file.  Then when I open the new file, the second file opens along with it.

Windows 10, InDesign 2020, both with the latest updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Had it for about 1.5 years on all InDesign versions I upgrade to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've had this issue for a long time, too. I haven't paid attention to see if the documents are next to each other in history but at least two open when I try to open one. Windows 7. InDesign 15.1.2 (but it's been happening for more versions). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines