• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Packages "unpackaged" themselves? (v16.0)

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I teach PR students to use InDesign and a recent project involved 8 designs for 'a client' and students were directed to package each design, then put all 8 packages into one zipped folder to put into our assignment dropbox.  Two of my students did exactly as they were told, but apparently after drag & dropping all 8 packages into the new folder they just zipped and moved on without checking?  Anyway, all 8 packages kind of opened themselves and I got this from her submission folder: 

screenshot.jpgscreenshot2.jpg

So I contacted the student to ask what happened as this was 1) not what I asked for and 2) not functional as all the links/fonts folders are missing.  She said she dragged each packaged into a folder in OneDrive and then uploaded it.  She showed me her external harddrive which clearly has the packages.  The .indd, .idml, and .pdf files date/time match the submission timestamp but the folders of the package show today from when she downloaded out of OneDrive to her harddrive.

Can anyone give any insight into how they managed to break this so perfectly and identically(other than the fact they were working together)?  They both swear they had 8 package folders and were shocked to see what was actually in the submission dropbox.  I have tried to recreate the problem to no avail. 

TOPICS
Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"then put all 8 packages into one zipped folder"

"She said she dragged each packaged into a folder in OneDrive and then uploaded it. "

I don't see where you say that she zipped the package. If she did, and you just didn't say that, ask if she is on Mac or Windows and find out exactly how she created the zip file. The issue could possibly be with how or if she zipped it

If she is on Creative Cloud, she can share files from there as well, which might be another way for you to check her process. If the file isn't too large, she might be able to email it to you. If you receive it properly by email or Creative Cloud, then the issue is not the zip file, but it's worth checking.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane: 

I'm not 100% sure she zipped it, she just said she had.  I'm not finding any evidence of her actually creating the packages but her partner did (and they did it together) which is why I was mostly confused.  She hasn't successfully packaged anything all term and I was hoping this assignment would be "the one!" but it does not seem so.  The reason I reached out to the support community is  I know Photoshop 21 was super buggy at first and didn't know if this was an error/issue anyone else had seen.  I'll ask her if and how she zipped and go from there.  Her files were zipped in the dropbox, but her OneDrive wasn't zipped. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2020 Nov 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zip is built into macOS, but as I understand it, it needs to be installed on Windows. Ask her to give you the steps (numbered) that she is using. Post them here if you don't see the issue. It could be something else, but let's rule this out first.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ability to zip files/folders has been there with a simple right click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines