• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign painfully slow performance

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen a lot of posts about fixes to InDesign's painfully slow performance but nothing is working for me. Before the last few releases I had zero issue working from home in InDesign. Now even selecting type, a panel, or a new tool causes my Mac to spin. Right now working is like 'click on text box...wait. Highlight text... wait. Type....wait. etc. Other members of my team are experiencing the same issue but only when we work from home, almost never in the office. XD, Photoshop, Illustrator, and even Aftereffects work without issue. 

I've turned off track changes, prepress, page thumbnails, dynamic spelling, turned Greek Images right down. We've tried saving as idml as well. Yesterday I uninstalled InDesign and reinstalled the program, but that did not fix the issue. Even with display performance as Fast in a file that is mostly text the program is painfully slow.

We use InCopy but experience these issues even when the file doesn't have any stories. Our files are a year old or older if that makes a difference?

My manager is currently several releases back and has no issues with performance. 

What is InDesign doing in the background that I'm missing?

TOPICS
Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

As I said, speak to your network administrator about making sure that your home computer is compatible with the network. Also when you work locally make sure that you have no connection to your company's network. Try that and see if performance improves.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you connecting to your company's network while working from home? If so try working locally and see if there is still a problem. If this is the case then talk to your network administrator and see if there may be some software or updating to your operating system that will better accommodate the network.

As with most people during the present worldwide crisis, I have been working from home. Unlike you, however, I have had no reduction in speed from what I am used to in the office. I am working with InDesign CC 2020 on Mac OS Mojave. Please provide the details of what version of InDesign and what operating system you are using.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am connected to the company network and have tried downloading the files to my desktop, which definitely helps, but my Mac still spins for every task. Why would it have to think so hard about selecting text and even typing?

I'm using InDesign CC 2020 latest update, on Mac OS High Sierra. My corworker is on Catalina.

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said, speak to your network administrator about making sure that your home computer is compatible with the network. Also when you work locally make sure that you have no connection to your company's network. Try that and see if performance improves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, what a difference! You are 100% correct. If I download the packaged files to my desktop then shut down my connection to the network the performance issues are gone. I tried it on a long form that was impossible to work in and I'm not having a single issue in it now. 

Thank you! You just saved me so much time and stress.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've just discovered that if you change the colour PREFS from LG UltraFine to Apple RGB in the display settings, all works brilliant. Seems that Adobe's code and LG UltraFine monitors have an issue.. Pass this on please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I've just discovered that if you change the colour PREFS from LG UltraFine to Apple RGB in the display settings, all works brilliant. Seems that there is an issue with Adobe's code with LG UltraFine monitors. Pass this on please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Mohave OS. Since updating to InDesign 15.0.3, the spinning beachball happens for 5-10 seconds every time I click on something, which makes this version of InDesign unusable. Please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just trashed my preference by holding down shift control option command while starting InDesign and now it seems fine. I would love to know what in the preferences setting is causing the problem. So far I have not changed the prefs to the way I like them -- a tedious project for another day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
We are having major issues with InDesign 15.0.03 freezing (running on Win 10 - Laptop local version and also via remote access to office PCs.) This is corporate license - 2 users affected - all other team members have not upgraded to 15.0.03 and have no issues. This is affecting productivity and delivery deadlines to clients. @Adobe - can you please let us know what is happening as we are beyond frustrated here

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines