Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Paragraph Styles Not Functioning Properly [2017]

Contributor ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My problem is that when I apply a paragraph style, it does not apply the proper effect.  For example,  I select text that is say Arial regular 12 pt grey and create a new style.  When I apply the style to a paragraph, the text becomes Arial Bold 12 pt green.  If I go into the style settings, the style is set at Arial Regular grey, but it appears as Arial bold in the document.  It doesn't seem to effect the size, just weight and color.

This is not happening with character styles, only paragraph.  I thought it was a bad font, but I've tried it with a couple of them and it is happening with all of them.

I've tried deleting preferences, restarting and opening a new file, but none worked.

PLEASE HELP...I HAVE A JOB DUE TODAY!

Thank you.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Have to checked to see if the "misbehaving" paragraph also has a character style applied? (Character Style attributes override those in the Paragraph Style.)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to checked to see if the "misbehaving" paragraph also has a character style applied? (Character Style attributes override those in the Paragraph Style.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a bold, green character style applied.  Thank you!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just today I had the same problem and this was the solution. Thank you!         

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2022 Nov 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!, just faced this issue today!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! That solved my problem too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much! This solved my problem after I went crazy trying to figure out what was happening. I hope your socks never fall down and your pillow is always cool to the touch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Open your Character styles panel > select the paragraph and click None to remove any Character styles. Look at the bottom to see if any are being applied automatically.

2. Select your text and clear your overrides by clicking the Pilcrow at the bottom of the Paragraph styles panel.

3. Check your Paragraph style definition and post a screen shot of the definition if it still does not work.

If your Paragraph styles are based on a style that is green (check Basic Paragraph), that could also be the problem. Base them on No Style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2019 Jun 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had spent more than six hours struggling with this issue. Jane-e you solved it for me, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

heatherm3141567  wrote

I had spent more than six hours struggling with this issue. Jane-e you solved it for me, thanks!

Six hours, oh, no! You’re welcome, Heather!

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another happy user here, thank you for the fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2023 Jan 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This saved me !! thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Thankyou! This solved just the problem I was having!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Na nova versão do illustrator (2021) você encontrará aqui "Window > Type > Character Panel".
ou
Ctrl + T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines