Highlighted

InDesign PDF (Mac) not printing properly from Windows PC

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF's I make on my Mac don't print right from my colleagues' windows PC. All the linked content seems te be missing, text prints ok. I've tried several different PDF settings but nothing seems to work. PDF's from Illustrator print just fine, so the problem is really with InDesign.

Can someone please help me out? Maybe someone has the ideal combination of PDF settings?

I'm on a Mac, using InDesign 2020.

Thanks in advance, greetings from the Netherlands.

IMG_1887.jpeg

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by BobLevine | Most Valuable Participant

The OP sent me the files and there is nothing wrong with them. I suspect the colleague may be using a substandard PDF reader or the printer may need more RAM.

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign PDF (Mac) not printing properly from Windows PC

Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF's I make on my Mac don't print right from my colleagues' windows PC. All the linked content seems te be missing, text prints ok. I've tried several different PDF settings but nothing seems to work. PDF's from Illustrator print just fine, so the problem is really with InDesign.

Can someone please help me out? Maybe someone has the ideal combination of PDF settings?

I'm on a Mac, using InDesign 2020.

Thanks in advance, greetings from the Netherlands.

IMG_1887.jpeg

Most Valuable Participant
Correct answer by BobLevine | Most Valuable Participant

The OP sent me the files and there is nothing wrong with them. I suspect the colleague may be using a substandard PDF reader or the printer may need more RAM.

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 25, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think the issue is with InDesign at all...the problem is with how the PDF is created or with the application viewing or printing the PDF.

Without seeing your files and knowing more about what's going on, there's no way to know.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Can I send you the PDF and /or InDesign package so you can have a look at it, if yes, how?

Kind regards, Koen Schrauwen

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2020 0
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Package it up. Put it in a Dropbox folder and share it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's quite likely that it's the fault of the PDF reader used by your colleague. Many PDF readers (those in web browsers, for example) are poorly written and don't support PDF standards. They are incapable of properly displaying and printing documents documents intended for high quality printing. Tell your colleague to get a copy of the free Adobe Reader and view your document there.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 2
Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, beyond Acrobat / Reader, this is always an issue but I'd be interested in seeing the PDF and then the InDesign files.

There's no real default PDF reader on Windows so most users, IME, do have Reader installed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

Thanks for you reply.

The problem isn't visible when viewing the PDF, the PDF displays / previews just fine. Only when we print the PDF we see that the linked images are missing and the print only shows the text.

Kind regards, Koen Schrauwen

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 27, 2020 0
Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 28, 2020 0