Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign PDF not printing images

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've prepared a document fora  client in InDesign which has been exported to press quality PDF, however the client has reported that some images within the PDF document have not printed or printed incorrectly. The PDF views perfectly onscreen. There are no errors within the file and the problem images are a mixture of exported .png and .jpeg files, as well as objects pasted directly from Illustrator.

Is the problem likely to be occurring at my end with either the file or application, or at the client's end with the printer?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do they mean by "have notp rinted or printed incorrectly"?

Can you give examples?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images are printing as if they are absent - i.e. a white space, or with white bands across the image.

Unfortunately its a confidential document so I can't post screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ashley,

what's the client's PDF viewer where the PDF is printed from?

If not Acrobat Pro DC or Reader DC I'd suggest using Adobe Reader.

With it comes the option to print as bitmap. Your client should try this.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this suggestion.

Ideally I would try this but as the document will be distributed to multiple people across a range of organisations, it won't be an option to include specific printing instructions and I'm looking to ensure that the images will print from pdf from most printers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ashleyd41096807  wrote

Thanks for this suggestion.

Ideally I would try this but as the document will be distributed to multiple people across a range of organisations, it won't be an option to include specific printing instructions and I'm looking to ensure that the images will print from pdf from most printers.

Hm.

Then I would suggest the following that is by no means meant for a commercial printing situation like offset presses, just for office printers and all PDF Viewers including viewers in browsers. From my German InDesign:

PDFExportSettings-ExportForEveryPrinterAndPDFViewer.PNG

Set compatibilty to Acrobat 4 (PDF 1.3).

Standard: None

Output > Color >

Convert to Destination

sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Include Destination Profile

Simulate Overprint

Test two cases with your document and see what fits best visually:

Edit > Transparency Blend Space >

Document CMYK

or

Document RGB

If you are working with spot colors also test two cases:

Ink Manager ( that's "Druckfarben-Manager" in my screenshot above )

[ ] Convert All Spots to Process Colors

Convert All Spots to Process Colors

InkManagerSettings.PNG

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried this on more than one printer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes "press quality" is a bit of a misnomer, as it's really just a starting point.

The High Quality PDF setting would be of similar quality, could you try this and see if it's ok?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem and I have just solved it (I think so anyway).

I'm using a Mac, Adobe InDesign CC 2018. I'm exporting a PDF and printing on an Epson XP-760. Document printed fine but with white spaced where the images should be.

I really don't understand colour profiles but I think the issue has something to do with them. Anyway, the solution....

I went to File, Adobe PDF Presets, [High Quality Print]. Chose file designation. In the exports settings menu I went to Output and changed Colour Conversion to Convert to Destination. Exported the file, hit print and I got images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you!!! this solved my issue!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After hours of trying to figure out this problem, I finally came upon your solution and it worked for me too! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines