• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Printing a White Border Around Document

Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a label template that I have been using for over a year now with no issue, but I recently got a new PC and had to reinstall InDesign CS6. It seemed to be working just fine, but when I tried to print some of those labels yesterday the entire template is shrunk down by 1/8th of an inch all the way around causing the labels to be offset from the edges with only the centermost labels being perfectly aligned. This particular template does not go all the way to the edges of the page to begin with (see template example) so it doesn't have anything to do with my inkjet printer not printing to the edges.

Margins are set to zero, printer settings haven't been touched (I even printed to a different printer with the same results), and I've tried printing a copy of the document from another PC (running an even older version of ID) and it printed perfectly. Both my old and new PC run Windows 10.

TOPICS
Performance , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

@DaniMadi:

It looks like the page is being offset while printing. Compare the printer driver on the other computer that is printing correctly with the one on the new computer that is not. Are they the same version?

Here is a quick test: 

• Create a new doc
  • Add a rectangle frame the same size as the page
  • Fill it with a light gray
  • Print it. Is it offset?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you printing from InDesign or from Acrobat (with your PDF) ? If Acrobat, is it set to Fit instead of Actual Size?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am printing from InDesign, but I also tried printing an Actual Size PDF but it yielded the same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently got a new PC and had to reinstall InDesign CS6... Both my old and new PC run Windows 10.

Unfortunately, InDesign CS6 was released, supported and retired long before Windows 10 was released and is not supported on any modern operating system. If you can get it to run, that's fantastic. It works for some but not for others. 

You might try downloading the free 7-trial of InDesign 2021 to see if the file is again working correctly. 

https://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/free-trial-download.html 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried printing from ID 2021 and it still added the border which makes zero sense because when I print the same document from another computer that's running a different version of ID, it prints perfectly! So it shouldn't be the printer or the template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything else you can suggest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DaniMadi:

It looks like the page is being offset while printing. Compare the printer driver on the other computer that is printing correctly with the one on the new computer that is not. Are they the same version?

Here is a quick test: 

• Create a new doc
  • Add a rectangle frame the same size as the page
  • Fill it with a light gray
  • Print it. Is it offset?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

I tried the test this morning and it looks like it turned out fine. No shift at all.

This is getting so aggravating and it's probably something so darn simple! UGH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dani:

I get it. It is super frustrating. Did you check the printer driver? 

And are you telling me that the test file on the same computer, with the same version of InDesign, with the same printer, printed correctly and did not offset? But that one InDesign file is offsetting on that same computer, same version and same printer?

Will this work as an interim solution until you get this resolved? Edit > Select all and move the content up and left so that it looks wrong in InDesign, but prints correctly?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT'S FIXED!!!

It WAS the printer driver!

I guess the IT guy reinstalled the wrong one when setting up my new PC! UGH!

I just went to the Brother website and found an updated driver (Raster Printer Driver) that was specifically formatted to fix the known issue of printing a different size than what is chosen on the screen.

Thanks, Barb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We are always happy to help, Dani. Come back anytime. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines