• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign - Publish online interactive PDF - not functioning on windows based PCs Why?

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2019 Mar 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning

I am struggling to get any interactive pdf's to function on a windows based PC.

I work on a mac and have opened the published versions on multiple browsers ( safari, chrome, and firefox) they all function correctly.

I have even opened the files on a basic model android phone and it functions. I then sent them to colleagues to test as these interactive pdf's are for students on an online LMS. Where I Iframe them into the course.

But alas all my colleagues that utilize a windows based PC, have trouble with formats, functionality, layout, etc...

It is pretty simple interaction using multistate objects and buttons you click on to show or hide different states.

Please assist in helping me make these interactions more accessible.

Here is one of the interactions:

https://indd.adobe.com/view/69deac23-a647-46aa-ab02-172d927724f3

Let me know your feedback on if it functions on your systems.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Put the information in an extra status of the MSO together with all other contents that the MSO should show after the info button is pressed. Means for every MSO on your page you need four extra status for the information since every MSO has four status showing the info button. Provide a close button in every information status that goes back to the status that is showing the info button before it is clicked.

All three buttons that control three different status of an individual MSO should be sta

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Interactive PDFs are extremely troublesome these days because there are countless PDF readers and they all support different interactive functionality, if at all. Long story short, you can't assume that any interactivity that you put into a PDF will work for someone.

Exporting things out as EPUBs is also an issue as it requires someone to have a reader.

I was going to recommend you try the Publish Online feature built into InDesign and I notice you're already using it from the link you posted. Can you not publish using this feature and have your classes within the LMS point to these assets?

You were also talking about iframes which suggests you are using HTML based courses. Personally I would prefer to be incorporating these HTML based assets generated by InDesign as opposed to PDFs.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MSO do not work nowadays on an interactive PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about Publish Online or Interactive PDF? The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many Thanks for the responses.

I did some testing throughout the institution and found that it might be due to acrobat update or browser updates on the machine.

@ Michael Bullo could you elaborate "HTML based assets generated by InDesign"?

@ BobLevine

could you elaborate on the stark difference between Publish Online and interactive PDF?...

What format or type of file is on Publish Online?... and if I am utilizing interactive elements and when you publish it asks for similar settings as per PDF.

I did some testing throughout the institution and found that it might be due to acrobat update or browser updates on the machine.

I need to create an interactive file that can be embedded in an LMS without a launch button? Can advise accordingly? ( please do not mention Captivate or storyline. Not an option.)

Many Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The content that InDesign generates using the Publish Online feature is HTML based. This is particularly powerful because it can be viewed in a simple web browser and works excellently on mobile devices and desktops.

PDF and EPUB equivalents generally need readers of some kind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply!

That then confuses the matter of the functionality issues and compatibility issues that i am experiencing.

The fact that it works on my mac and various browsers and devices. But will not work on my colleagues' windows based computers. But functions on others.

Confused!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you still haven't told us which one you're talking about!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning

I thought it was obvious in my initial question?... I sent a Publish Online linked file.

I guess my ignorance comes in on how I worded the question and how the Publish Online functions.  I should not have used an interactive PDF at all.

Rephrase:

"I am creating inactive activities utilizing InDesign and it's Publish Online functionalities to embed them onto an LMS using an IFrame"

Hope this describes it better!

Apologies!

And thank you once again for the assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The stark difference? One is black the other is white.

There is virtually no similarity and if you’re not going to fill us in with all of the details, there is no way anyone here can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for my ignorance.

Please, could you assist me on what details are you requiring?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

witsu89075112  wrote

Please, could you assist me on what details are you requiring?

Well, there are a lot of details that would come after the most important one: Again, are you using the Publish Online feature or exporting to Interactive PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

witsu89075112  wrote

…Here is one of the interactions:

https://indd.adobe.com/view/69deac23-a647-46aa-ab02-172d927724f3

Let me know your feedback on if it functions on your systems.

Hi,

what should work in this sample?

PublishOnlinePage.PNG

I can see that the color coded buttons below the MSOs are working. The color changes, means the active states have changed, but they do not contain any new contents. And: There is no button to go to the initial state, the blue background one.

Should there be buttons where the text says "COLOUR KEY"?

Only the yellow one seems to be a button but clicking does nothing.

How about the buttons labeled as "i"?

My browser says I can go to a DefaultURL if I click:

https://adobeindd.com/view/publications/69deac23-a647-46aa-ab02-172d927724f3/g12h/$$$/Dialog/Behavio...

All tests done with Firefox and Edge browsers on Windows 10.

Regards,
Uwe

//EDIT: Added a screenshot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Made the accompanied PDF available in my browser:

PublishOnlinePage-DownloadedPDF.PNG

All the interactive elements are missing. No surprise with the MSOs. They never worked with PDF.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many Thanks for the assistance.

It is an activity to give students an idea of how varied and complicated the issues of Forced and Precarious Labor can be.

They choose the colors that represent the levels of contribution to a topic. then they take a screenshot of their chooses and posts it onto a forum discussion to discuss their chooses withier peers.

The three-block underneath the big blue blocks, change the state colors of the big blue block to represent their choice.

The information button is information on the topic that is highlighted in the big blue blocks. I have disabled them due to the fact that i am having trouble with the layers( i have put the information of the highlighted problems on different layers) and buttons "hidden until triggered" functionality. Sometimes it shows and other times it does not and other times it does not trigger the layers at all.

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. So where are the problems you are seeing?

The controls for the MSOs are working. If you change the yellow button next to "COLOUR KEY" to a plain rectangle and provide the right URL to your info buttons all should work as expected.

Again: Tested this with Edge and Firefox browser on Windows 10.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am finding problems in inconsistencies with operating systems. Some operating systems, such as mac, the activity works fine. But as with my colleagues, using a windows computer, they cannot access the activity or when they do it does not show the blocks or if it does then there is no functionality at all or it just shows a background base color screen.  

and as you have noticed when downloading as a pdf or printing, it just does not show the blocks at all.

Just trying to understand why there are these inconsistencies and hopefully make it fully accessible to the students.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

witsu89075112  wrote

I am finding problems in inconsistencies with operating systems. …

What are the specs of the Windows operating systems your colleagues are using?
What browsers are they trying?

Again: I'm on Windows 10 and see no issues at all with your MSOs in Firefox and Edge browsers.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel core I7 running windows 10.

Chrome browser and Firefox.

This is what is perplexing, If my colleagues are unable to view it then we have to assume that there are a significant amount of students that would not be able to access the activity. Thus, causing concern with line managers and academics.

I think it might have to do with updating browsers or software on their side. But are trying to not create disclaimers for students stating that they need to update their systems before continuing with the course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at in5, it may offer the perfect solution for you, though you’d have to invest in some time in training:

Export HTML5 from InDesign with in5 - Home

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many Thanks for the suggestion!

I have already looked at it.

I just need to convince my Line manager to pay for an annual subscription, in order that I have access to the full version and also get rid of the watermarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please bear in mind that most young people these days see Windows and Mac as the devices their grandparents once used. If your stuff doesn't work on Android and iOS, it is dead to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input! Part of the first steps in my testing processes. (1. test it in the LMS, 2.test it on multiple browsers,3. test it on MacOS and MOS, 4.test in on my Android and IOS devises iPhone and then on Ipads and Android tablets.)

Once it works on all devises and systems, I publish!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop what you are doing. InDesign isn't the right tool for web-based interactive learning tools which must be shared online. The interactive stuff is too volatile and limited in my experience.

Switch to an alternative rapid development tool such as Construct 2/3 or the free GDevelop, which both export directly to a web file that can be put on a server and will work for anyone you send the link to. And with Construct it is simple to add almost any type of interactive behaviours, including quizzes and keeping track of variables and states.

These type of visual development tools are used quite a lot by educators to quickly develop highly interactive modules that load just fine in any browser, including mobile.

https://www.construct.net/en

https://gdevelop-app.com/​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines