Highlighted

Indesign Publish Online

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I would like to add a 3D model (U3D ECMA or PRC or any 3D format) in the Publish online link or ePub and to be able to rotate it with the cursor.

Is this possible?

TOPICS
EPUB, How to, Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Indesign Publish Online

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I would like to add a 3D model (U3D ECMA or PRC or any 3D format) in the Publish online link or ePub and to be able to rotate it with the cursor.

Is this possible?

TOPICS
EPUB, How to, Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your answer.

There is way on Publish online to add a navigable 3D render? I have seen the images sequence option, but it's not quite what I want. Is it possible to add the 3D PDF on Publish Online? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 02, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A PDF containing a 3D object would have to reside on some web accessible location, it can not be embedded in the Publish Online file. A hyperlink within the Publish Online file can direct a visitor to the PDF.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 02, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way to publish an InDesign document online AND have a 3D object embedded for viewing would be:

1. Avoid either epub or the online publishing option. They will not work. Instead, install the free html exporter script mentioned here:
    https://indesignsecrets.com/exporting-from-indesign-to-html5-amazing-free-script.php
  2. In your InDesign page(s), add an empty frame where you intend to put the 3d object later.
  3. after exporting your pages, you may have to relink pages. Depends: the script does include a link option.
  4. Various methods exist to embed a 3d model in your web pages. One of the simplest solutions is just to upload your model to Sketchfab.
  5. After uploading your 3d model to Sketchfab, click the share option, and copy the embedding code.
  6. Open your generated pages in a code editor like Visual Code, and locate the empty frame (which would be a <div> tag. Use the browser's inspect tools to help you locate the div and its unique ID.
  7. Once located in the code, paste the Sketchfab embed code inside that div tag.
  8. You may have to adjust some settings, but it should just work with default settings. And to center the result, as well as keep animations contained within the page container, some simple css is required (for example, set overflow to hidden on the main page container div)
  9. publish the web page files to a webhost, and share with others. (this could be a free host like GitLab, etc., or a paid-for web hosting service. You may already have one. Place your work in a subfolder on your webhost)

Done!

PS it is also possible to unzip the epub file instead of using the html export script. Rename all the page file extensions from xhtml to html ones, and fix the links in the code to reflect that. Then run through the same steps as above.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 05, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have another question:
Are video autoplay on mobile? Because it seams to no work. There is anything to do for making work? They are fine on desktop and iPad, but not on mobile.
Can someone help me to fix this?
Thanks
Diletta

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 1
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should NEVER and I cannot stress that enough set audio or video to autoplay. 

It is annoying as hell and most browsers at this point will just block it anyway.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 1
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't ask your opinion on the creative side. I just want to know if it work on mobile devices.

Because I have no issues with laptops and Ipads.

Let me know if there is anyway to make it autoplay also on mobile

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 0
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot override a browser setting. I dare say if you tested enough desktops and tablets you'd find some won't play it and some will.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 1