Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign QR code and accents

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

An InDesign (14.03) generated QR code containing names with accents (é, ë, á etc.) gives problems when read with an iPhone (XR, iOS 13.1.2). For example, the name Daniël (note the double dots on the e) comes out as Dani√'l. As nobody near me has an Android phone to test if the problem persists, I can't figure out if this problem is InDesign, iPhone or QR code related. Does anyone have a clue? Is there a workaround?

Cheers, Olaf

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you try to decide and show me result in below online decoder?

https://zxing.org/w/.jspx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, what do I need to decide? What needs to be decoded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Its typo. I want to see decoded binary codes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you want me to do here. How do I get that binary code? Sorry, I am just a user of the Adobe CC, not a programmer of any sort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make QR code in InDesign and take a screenshot that you can upload previous decode site.

You will get decode result string with raw byte codes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that different QR reader read äöüß wrong, other correct. I do not believe, that this is an InDesign problem rather a problem of the QR reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably InDesign's mode select during encoding is not correct. I want to check the raw binary data to confirm it.

However, You can use QR Code Maker pro Extension to make correct code.

https://exchange.adobe.com/creativecloud.details.13171.qr-code-maker-pro.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2019 Oct 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked QR code that made by InDesign CC(ver.14.0.3).
Here is a sample image.
スクリーンショット 2019-10-15 9.17.28.png

This code contain 7 characters "Daniël".
and below byte codes come from previous QR Code.
スクリーンショット 2019-10-15 9.39.55.png

40 74 46 16 e6 9c 3a b6 c0 ec 11 ec 11 ec 11 ec

0x4 8bit byte mode (UTF-8)
0x07 Text bytes Length = 7
0x44 D
0x61 a
0x6e n
0x69 i
0xc3 0xab ë
0x6c l
0x0 terminate character

InDesign seems to make correct QR Code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2019 Dec 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have the same issue here when creating on InDesign a business card kind of QRcode that links to a contact with an accent on the name: when I scan the QRcode with an iPhone, I've got "Cl√©men" instead of Clément (see QRcode enclosed).

However, when I create the same business card using a free QRcode generator online and scan it with the same iPhone, the spelling is displayed correctly.

Any thought? Many thanks in advance!

P.S. (note that both ways automatically load and display the native "contact" app of the iPhone).Capture d’écran 2019-12-21 à 14.35.29.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 23, 2019 Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version are you using?

I tested CC2020 and works fine like below.

スクリーンショット 2019-12-24 12.55.01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2019 Dec 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Adobe version is also 2020, but the issue is yet the same. 

I guess I have to work around the problem with the before mentioned solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the super-late answer!

I'm using the latest version of Creative Cloud 2020, V 15.01.

I still encounter the same problem with my QRcode but not with yours because you're linking to a text whereas mine was to a business card.

I just tried mine with a simple text and the accent appears correctly so my problem is really business card (contact creation) related (see screenshot below when I scan my QRcode):

IMG_4464.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

It seems that I have the same problem (also with visit cards). 

How can we fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested marined99882016's QR Code. It was encoded Alphanumeric mode and this mode not allowed high Ascii characters.
I think it must be encoded 8-bit binary mode. I'll report it to Adobe. However, we do not know when this bug will be fixed.
At present, it is better to avoid creating strings with these characters in InDesign.
Fortunately, the QR Code Maker Pro that I have released can correctly handle character strings including Unicode characters. Please use this until the bug is fixed.
I think the iPhone app also contains a bug that can't decode that character code range correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here – and same occurrences. New QR-Codes from InDesign show wrong characters (Umlaut äöü) with iPhone 11 Pro. Old QR-Codes  – e.g. printed on business cards that are guaranteed to work – show the same problem. And free QR-Code-Generators work fine.

I think we have two problems – did anyone find informations about the iPhone-Problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem, not fixed even after 3 years. Adobe Adobe, if we all worked like you we would soon be without our customers..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2023 Jul 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

InDesign could use a refresh on the QR code generator, yes. But the issue here is that the vCard option generates the obsolete v2.1 format, which is limited to lower ASCII characters. 

You can generate v3 or even v4 vCard using the plain text mode. You can also create several code types not directly supported. 

Here's a primer on using ID's QR code generator for better results: 

https://www.nitrosyncretic.com/DPR/dpr_qrcodes.php

╟ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) ╢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines