Highlighted

Indesign Rainbow Wheel

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My indesign document has started taking ages to load, constantly spinning the rainbow wheel with every little move I make for 30-60 seconds per time. I have made all the usual little changes to settings to try and speed up the process but it is still happening - are there any recommendations? I have a Macbook Pro & Indesign CC 2018 - any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Bill_Silbert | Adobe Community Professional

Are you running on a network or is it a personal computer. If on a network try disconnecting and work locally to see if it makes a difference. If you are on a network speak to your administrator and make sure that it has been updated to be compatible with your version of InDesign. Also, if you are running any third party plug-ins either within InDesign or as part of your operating system try disabling those and see if that helps.

Additionally, as Mike suggests, try trashing preferences.

To do so on a Mac:

The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe InDesign” and the file called “com.adobe.InDesign.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files in this manner is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Indesign Rainbow Wheel

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My indesign document has started taking ages to load, constantly spinning the rainbow wheel with every little move I make for 30-60 seconds per time. I have made all the usual little changes to settings to try and speed up the process but it is still happening - are there any recommendations? I have a Macbook Pro & Indesign CC 2018 - any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Bill_Silbert | Adobe Community Professional

Are you running on a network or is it a personal computer. If on a network try disconnecting and work locally to see if it makes a difference. If you are on a network speak to your administrator and make sure that it has been updated to be compatible with your version of InDesign. Also, if you are running any third party plug-ins either within InDesign or as part of your operating system try disabling those and see if that helps.

To do so on a Mac:

The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe InDesign” and the file called “com.adobe.InDesign.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files in this manner is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might try resetting preferences first, or experiment with other possibilities:

InDesign CC 2019 Troubleshooting How-to Guide

Mike Witherell

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To do so on a Mac:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
André F LATEST
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had the same problem recently, tried what was recommended here but to no avail. But then I realized that it always occurred when my MacBook Air tried to make a backup via TimeMachine. Once I stopped that, the problem did not occur again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines