• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Rulers showing incorrect measurments, and extra trash lines on the ruler

Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign Ruler Issue.png

The ruler is showing incorrect measurements, and it appears to be in the area outside of the page size. I also see a lot of extra trash lines on the ruler, making it very difficult to edit art and drag the element edge to create a .125" bleed.
Is this something associated with my computer, a font, or are others seeing this ?
16.1 x64
Windows 10 Pro

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you right click the rulers, what are the measurements set to? Are they what you expected?

What happens if you change Windows display font scaling or Edit > Preferences > UI Scaling?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right-Click on the ruler shows inches, as expected.

I unchecked the box:
Preferences > UI Scaling > For High-PPI Displays, Scale the User Interface

FYI

I am using InDesign via RDP from home, to my work desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem after the preference change and restarting InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lines that follow the cursor in the rulers, appear to be drawing these extra tick marks. It is not refreshing, leaving fragments, but that does not explain the incorrect measurement on the "Y" axis ruler. The "X" axis appears to be correct 
I can double click the home/reset box for the rulers, and all of the lines disappear, but they return when I move the cursor around on the the art. Is there a way to turn off those "follow me" rules ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @tshelhorse:

Are you aware that you can enable bleedlines to make this easier for you? For an existing document just go to File > Document Setup. The red bleed lines will appear outside the paper edges, allowing you to snap elements to them without having to zoom in so much. 

If you think the zero point is off on the rulers just double click the little square where the left and the top rulers intersect. That will reset the zero point to the top left corner of the paper.

Finally I've never seen that trash in the rulers. I don't work in inches though, I work with my rulers set to picas, which may come in to play, not sure. Does zooming out clean them up? What about rebuilding cache and preferences? You may need to work through the entire post to get the results you need.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-rebuilding-preferences-cache/

~Barb 

rulers.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am aware of these settings, for the bleed lines, but the rulers should display correctly regardless of the setting.
Double clicking the Ruler zero point clears the trash lines, but they return as soon as I move the cursor around on the art.
...but the "Y" axis ruler alway displays the wrong dimension.
This is a basic function that should always work.
Zero the rulers, select an object, and the rulers and the coordinate box should show the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2023 Sep 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

oh my gosh thanks! " just double click the little square where the left and the top rulers intersect. That will reset the zero point to the top left corner of the paper" that's exactly what I needed. I opened a doc and the page started at -16.73mm (non sensical number) and now it's all good 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a basic function that should always work.

I agree. Did you try resetting prefs as per my link? Is your graphics card driver up to date?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll have to rebuild the preferences later, when workload allows, but I'm skeptical.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hear you. If it doesn't make a difference, you can file a bug report here:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this could be a major contributor to the problem:

"I am using InDesign via RDP from home, to my work desktop."

What is "RDP"?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft - Remote Desktop Protocol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per the snapshot, the Y coordinate is 1/16 above 0 which is negative, hence you observe the value as -0.125 in. This is working as designed.

X and Y coordinates are defined as per the ruler and can be negative as well which is shown in the image.

Feel free to reach out to me at santalwa@adobe.com for any queries.

Regards

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-0.125˝ is one eighth, not one sixteenth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines