• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign running slow. Spinning ball constantly appearing.

Participant ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'm having CONSTANT slow drag with InDesign. The spinning beach ball appears while I"m doing almost ANYTHING, even after quitting/re-starting the program, and even re-starting the OS. I'm running High Sierra on Mac, with 40GB of memory, so that shouldn't be the issue, but almost anything I'm doing, I'm getting major lag. Any ideas? This is really ridiculous. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 19, 2019 Jan 19, 2019

Hi Jeff. I actually did open a ticket with Extensis and a helpful person suggested I temporarily turn off FMCore to see if the problem persisted. Well, I didn't actually turn off the Type Core in preferences, but rather, I turned off the "Enable Document Tracking" option and after that I noticed a SIGNIFICANT improvement to my interruptions… the spinning beach was reduced by I would estimate 80%, so I'm quite happy with the result. Hope this helps some others on this thread. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 197 Replies 197
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

Sorry to hear that.

Please try resetting preferences for InDesign and update application and check if that helps.

Set preferences in Adobe InDesign 

If this does not work, feel free to update this thread so that we can further assist you.

Regards

Twarita

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really want to reset my preferences as then I'm going to lose all my settings.... InDesign is up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest making a copy of your InDesign Preferences file to save, while you trying resetting your Preferences. On the Mac, here's the path:

~Users/homefolder/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign

If, after deleting your preferences InDesign is still running slow, simply replace the new Prefs file with the old. No need to restart your computer in between.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

I understand your concern. However slow performance is generally a result of corrupt preferences. If you want you can rename the preferences folders instead of deleting them. In this case, you will have old settings saved in old folders and new folders with default settings will be created.

For Windows

Close all Adobe applications.

Go to Locations :

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe.

Rename InDesign folders.

Launch InDesign from CC.

For MAC

Close all Adobe applications.

Go to Locations:

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Preferences

Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign

Launch InDesign from the CC

Regards

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF that is indeed the case - preferences - then how do I get my OLD preferences back to the new ones? I have lots of custom settings and configurations, PLUS, the computer and the suite is not even 2 months old yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

After renaming the folders launch InDesign from CC, and if that works fine, then the existing preferences were corrupt and you don't need them anymore and you will have to recreate them. If it still does not work we will have to try to reinstall application where we can get old preferences.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, I have deleted my preferences (4 times), reinstalled the program (4 times), deleted other programs said to be causing the issue (Font Fusion) and sat with Tech support 4 times and still having the issue. Looking for a real answer to the problem and not the same "Trash the Preferences and it will be better." I'm getting very tired of a small edit taking 20 minutes to make and my business can't afford these delays!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the inconvenience. As you mentioned that you have already tried resetting preferences, reinstalling the application and removing other applications. In case I would suggest you to check how the application works in safe mode:

Safe Mode MAC: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Safe Mode Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing here really seems to address the issue except trashing preferences. If it IS a corrupt preference file, then when creating new ones, somehow, I'll have to try to remember what all the old ones were. It's like scorched earth policy here. Adobe should have information on how to address this issue besides 'trash the prefences' and lose all that productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2018 Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

We are sorry about the inconvenience caused to you. File corruption and spinning ball/slow performance are two different issues.

There are multiple factors both internal and external to InDesign application that can lead to document corruption. However, we can take a look and see if the file can be repaired. If you have any corrupt or damaged file please email it to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and we will take a look at the document.

Preferences reset is for the initial issue that is slow performance or spinning beach ball which generally happens when preferences are corrupt. Resetting preference is a process of removing corrupt settings and launching the application with default settings.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would just get used to the fact that Adobe is not a quality program, despite them charging a quality monthly subscription fee which is not at all necessary. I have had this issue and it is not resolvable. There are better programs in the market that have once of payment and better quality of programming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shristi,

So is it safe to delete the cache and preferences files in Locations?

Thanks

Ryan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 08, 2021 Jul 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old thread but still seems relevant since it seems to be an ongoing issue... like all adobe issues.  I just wanted to add to this, since it's always the firsr suggestion, that trashing my preferences has never made any noticable difference for isseus Ive had and continue to have with indesign.. for years. Uninstalling and reinstalling everything helps for a bit but not long.

absolutley hate using indesign lately, it's a painful, misreable user experience and more time is wasted problem solving than anything else. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years ago, I switched from Quark to Indesign to be more compatable with everyone else in the community. I'm thinking it's time to switch back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no you won't

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me! Thank you!

InDesign was running slow as hell - now working like im used to :))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for you, switching back to Quark?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What works for me is clearing the preferences, turning off preflight, and/or importing Word docs without styling. I find its things that run on multiple pages that have to reflow sets it off (like tables, sidebars).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 10, 2022 Mar 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing useful to add here other than I'm having the same frustrating issues with InDesign and your reply made me laugh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please Adobe stop with the trash your prefs to fix the problem - IT DOESN"T FIX THE PROBLEM, hire a programmer that can fix it.  Just stop with the copy and paste "trash the prefs" answer.  The more I hear this stupid answer the closer I get to buying Quark.  Hey Quark - you have a great opportunity to win back some ex-users, where's your Marketing to get these un-happy users back, IDN maybe 1/2 off a new subscription OR SOMETHING better than what Adobe is putting out there, freaking horrible, but Adobe doesn't care and that's sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue and been on the phone repeatedly with Adobe. Here are all of the steps Adobe has given me that they say will fix my problem, but have not:

• Trashed preferences (4 times on 4 different calls)
  • Uninstalled, cleaned and reinstalled the program (3 times on 3 different calls)
  • Turned off Auto-Activation on fonts
  • Removed Suitcase and all of the supporting files
  • Removed Dropbox and all of the supporting files

The only resolutions I have found is if I save the file as an .imdl file and continue working, the drag goes away. I'm not sure why, but have found this works. Hopefully it works for the rest of you, as I have tried other "fixes" people have posted and found them unhelpful.

Been a long time user of these products (working in them over 20 years) and this has been the most frustrating issue. Adobe really needs to solve this one, as I see this issue popping up more and more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that's a completely ridiculous solution from Adobe. Just trash your computer while you are at it. Scorched Earth solution. Ridiculous. Sounds like they are passing the buck or have No solution. How much productive time did you lose? Crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott,

The best solution they came up with was working offline, which was a bit helpful but not practical AT ALL! Hours and days have been lost on this, I'm feeling very frustrated and rather disappointed in Adobe.

Hope my suggestion helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious if this is on a Mac or a PC and what operating system? If you are on the Mac is it with High Sierra?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines