Highlighted

InDesign running slow. Spinning ball constantly appearing.

Participant ,
May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'm having CONSTANT slow drag with InDesign. The spinning beach ball appears while I"m doing almost ANYTHING, even after quitting/re-starting the program, and even re-starting the OS. I'm running High Sierra on Mac, with 40GB of memory, so that shouldn't be the issue, but almost anything I'm doing, I'm getting major lag. Any ideas? This is really ridiculous. Thanks!

Correct answer by Brad_Kumar | Community Beginner

Hi Jeff. I actually did open a ticket with Extensis and a helpful person suggested I temporarily turn off FMCore to see if the problem persisted. Well, I didn't actually turn off the Type Core in preferences, but rather, I turned off the "Enable Document Tracking" option and after that I noticed a SIGNIFICANT improvement to my interruptions… the spinning beach was reduced by I would estimate 80%, so I'm quite happy with the result. Hope this helps some others on this thread. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign running slow. Spinning ball constantly appearing.

Participant ,
May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'm having CONSTANT slow drag with InDesign. The spinning beach ball appears while I"m doing almost ANYTHING, even after quitting/re-starting the program, and even re-starting the OS. I'm running High Sierra on Mac, with 40GB of memory, so that shouldn't be the issue, but almost anything I'm doing, I'm getting major lag. Any ideas? This is really ridiculous. Thanks!

Correct answer by Brad_Kumar | Community Beginner

Hi Jeff. I actually did open a ticket with Extensis and a helpful person suggested I temporarily turn off FMCore to see if the problem persisted. Well, I didn't actually turn off the Type Core in preferences, but rather, I turned off the "Enable Document Tracking" option and after that I noticed a SIGNIFICANT improvement to my interruptions… the spinning beach was reduced by I would estimate 80%, so I'm quite happy with the result. Hope this helps some others on this thread. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 18, 2018 2
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

Sorry to hear that.

Please try resetting preferences for InDesign and update application and check if that helps.

Set preferences in Adobe InDesign 

If this does not work, feel free to update this thread so that we can further assist you.

Regards

Twarita

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2018 1
Participant ,
May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't really want to reset my preferences as then I'm going to lose all my settings.... InDesign is up to date.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2018 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest making a copy of your InDesign Preferences file to save, while you trying resetting your Preferences. On the Mac, here's the path:

~Users/homefolder/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign

If, after deleting your preferences InDesign is still running slow, simply replace the new Prefs file with the old. No need to restart your computer in between.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2018 1
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

I understand your concern. However slow performance is generally a result of corrupt preferences. If you want you can rename the preferences folders instead of deleting them. In this case, you will have old settings saved in old folders and new folders with default settings will be created.

For Windows

Close all Adobe applications.

Go to Locations :

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Adobe.

Rename InDesign folders.

Launch InDesign from CC.

For MAC

Go to Locations:

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Preferences

Rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign

Launch InDesign from the CC

Regards

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2018 1
Participant ,
May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF that is indeed the case - preferences - then how do I get my OLD preferences back to the new ones? I have lots of custom settings and configurations, PLUS, the computer and the suite is not even 2 months old yet!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 23, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

After renaming the folders launch InDesign from CC, and if that works fine, then the existing preferences were corrupt and you don't need them anymore and you will have to recreate them. If it still does not work we will have to try to reinstall application where we can get old preferences.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 28, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, I have deleted my preferences (4 times), reinstalled the program (4 times), deleted other programs said to be causing the issue (Font Fusion) and sat with Tech support 4 times and still having the issue. Looking for a real answer to the problem and not the same "Trash the Preferences and it will be better." I'm getting very tired of a small edit taking 20 minutes to make and my business can't afford these delays!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 12, 2018 7
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry for the inconvenience. As you mentioned that you have already tried resetting preferences, reinstalling the application and removing other applications. In case I would suggest you to check how the application works in safe mode:

Safe Mode MAC: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Safe Mode Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 13, 2018 1
Participant ,
Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing here really seems to address the issue except trashing preferences. If it IS a corrupt preference file, then when creating new ones, somehow, I'll have to try to remember what all the old ones were. It's like scorched earth policy here. Adobe should have information on how to address this issue besides 'trash the prefences' and lose all that productivity.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 11, 2018 6
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

We are sorry about the inconvenience caused to you. File corruption and spinning ball/slow performance are two different issues.

There are multiple factors both internal and external to InDesign application that can lead to document corruption. However, we can take a look and see if the file can be repaired. If you have any corrupt or damaged file please email it to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and we will take a look at the document.

Preferences reset is for the initial issue that is slow performance or spinning beach ball which generally happens when preferences are corrupt. Resetting preference is a process of removing corrupt settings and launching the application with default settings.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue and been on the phone repeatedly with Adobe. Here are all of the steps Adobe has given me that they say will fix my problem, but have not:

• Trashed preferences (4 times on 4 different calls)
  • Uninstalled, cleaned and reinstalled the program (3 times on 3 different calls)
  • Turned off Auto-Activation on fonts
  • Removed Suitcase and all of the supporting files
  • Removed Dropbox and all of the supporting files

The only resolutions I have found is if I save the file as an .imdl file and continue working, the drag goes away. I'm not sure why, but have found this works. Hopefully it works for the rest of you, as I have tried other "fixes" people have posted and found them unhelpful.

Been a long time user of these products (working in them over 20 years) and this has been the most frustrating issue. Adobe really needs to solve this one, as I see this issue popping up more and more.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2018 3
Participant ,
Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that's a completely ridiculous solution from Adobe. Just trash your computer while you are at it. Scorched Earth solution. Ridiculous. Sounds like they are passing the buck or have No solution. How much productive time did you lose? Crazy.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott,

The best solution they came up with was working offline, which was a bit helpful but not practical AT ALL! Hours and days have been lost on this, I'm feeling very frustrated and rather disappointed in Adobe.

Hope my suggestion helps you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2018 0
Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious if this is on a Mac or a PC and what operating system? If you are on the Mac is it with High Sierra?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a Mac running High Sierra (10.13.6)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2018 0
Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2018 v13.1

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 14, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I completely understand and sorry about this frustration. I understand that today its practically impossible to work offline, but if it is solving the performance issue then there something which should be check by your IT team.

We at Adobe, have very limited support for Network-based Environments because there are so many other things involved with it(Technical support boundaries for virtualized or server-based environments ) but from my personal experience, I would suggest you few things which you must check:

• Check if this is happening with your user account only or with multiple users
  • Check if there is any antivirus or if there is any endpoint security or if there is any restriction imposed by your IT Team. Due to this sometimes server does not allow the application to save but you are able to save outside the application.
  • This generally happens when network policies or Operating System is updated, check with your IT team for the same.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CC 2018 is unusable. I downloaded it two days OK. Every was OK. Today it takes 20 min to open a file. Sometimes I can see the open file, sometimes the window disappears.

I dumped my preferences file. Made no difference.

I've wasted an entire morning opening and force quitting and now I'm up against deadline. Please help. I spent six months convincing my employers to upgrade CC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2018 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system? What are the system specs? Clean operating system install or inplace upgrades?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

32gb of memory

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

Sorry to hear about this. As you have already tried resetting preferences. I would suggest you to please try these steps:

Removing Preferences folders Manually:

Go to Locations:

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Preferences

Delete or rename Adobe InDesign and com.adobe.indesign

If that does not help, check for permission issues: https://indd.adobe.com/view/d6f78247-7e41-4982-b380-68c0d465fd91

If that does not change anything perform a clean uninstall of InDesign: Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems and then reinstall from CC Learn how to download your Adobe Creative Cloud apps

Please do share your findings.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2018 1
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Staff answering these complaints probably don't really work with InDesign much -- since they all look very young. All of the 40+ pros on here who truly work across media (Art Directors and Creative Directors who got real jobs) endure Adobe's frustrating applications.

I love saving things to IDML and loading it up on a standalone MacBook Pro Circa 2014 with no internet connection -- and the file launches in 6 seconds and you can scroll through a 120 page magazine in high resolution like you used to.  There is so much Net-mommying going on by Adobe and the font services applications (Extensis you're utter dog-poo), productivity comes to a halt.  To test a real bottleneck, download a large EPS map with font information in the map.  Load it into Indesign -- make it a two page document. And it will take forever just to swap between pages.  Adobe will recommend a PDF instead of EPS. Fine. We all know that PDF remains a total fail as it modifies the object structure upon save making editable text a mess of tangled cross objects and nested groups you never grouped in the first place.  Words no longer selectable... I suggest just sighing and fighting through.  I know for a fact several major publishers manage their print work using OLD versions on non-net managed systems.  And we're talking MAJOR publishers like Condé Nast.  No need to reply. Just wanted to add this to the chatter. There are no answers. Delete Prefs. Really. That is like saying "We don't now what the problem is."  And Adobe knows it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2019 6
New Here ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone every gotten useful information from Adobe messageboards or tech support? This is ridiculous.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 18, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropping my laptop and getting a new MacBook Pro solved the issue. I really think it's an issue with upgrading from InDesign 2017 to 2018. This is an Adobe Fail.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2018 0
Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a rather unfounded conclusion. The two versions have nothing to do with each other.

My conclusion is your old machine was improperly configured in some way and the issue could have to do with multiple in place operating system upgrades.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the first part is unfounded, but the second part is true. InDesign CC 2018 is a fail. 40 seconds to save a document after adding a comma. Files forever looping in recovery mode. And the "dump your preferences" gem is straight out of the Quark Xpress playbook circa 1996.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2018 1
Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, I’m not going to sing the praises of InDesign’s speed or stability. It requires a very well maintained machine and in place operating system upgrades, IME, just add to the issues.

In any event, I’m glad you’ve got it running the new machine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2018 1
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem ever since adobe switched to a cloud based product.

The problem has existed running El Capitan to my current OSX Catalina. I recently purchased the new 16 inch macBook Pro with 64 GB memory and a 1 TB SSD... same problem and actually more frequent. I believe that Adobe has no idea how to fix this or even knows if it is an Adobe problem or an OS problem. Killing preferences is a lame suggestion because they have had numerous contacts with users who keep insisting that they have done it numerous times with no results. They should just stop suggesting it. They are like the Apple Genious Bar guys that don't have a genious in the house. Besides being a graphic designer I am also an IT specialist and I can't figure this out. Sorry for the rant but I think a lot of users think this is new and it's actually pretty old.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 1
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hucksbud are you running Extensis as your font manager?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 18, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working on Macs and in Adobe for 25 years. My machines are kept in immaculate condition and ALWAYS upgraded. My previous machine as 5 years old and still ran like a champ. My desktop is 9 years old and I would still use it if I didn't need the mobility of a MacBook Pro. I am a huge fan of Adobe, but you can't help to admit that there is an issue that MANY people are having and they have yet to address the problem or giving any reasonable "fix" for it. I have the exact same programs with the same cloud backups and InDesign is running fine. I know it's difficult to fix a problem only affecting some of the population, but it seems like this is an issue that they aren't even addressing. My comment about the upgrade was simply based on my own experience. I took the machine to Apple and they confirmed the operating system and configuration were fine. Is it an Apple issue, an Adobe issue or a user issue? Who knows, all I know is I have lost a lot of time and money on this and there are many more that are in the same boat that cannot afford to simply replace a machine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2018 2
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Old or new, system should fulfill the specifications required by an application: InDesign system requirements.

In case your system fulfills these specifications, please contact our support center at Contact Customer Care for live troubleshooting sessions. We will definitely address the issue and try our best to solve it.

In case you need any help while initiating chat please refer to this link: https://indd.adobe.com/view/71f09a02-3841-4249-b701-14276522cf0e

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did, on 5 separate occasions. All did the same steps and no one fixed it. They blamed DropBox, Fusion and corrupt fonts. One rep did say he thought it had something to do with the Creative Cloud, but then said it may be something with my network. After many hours on the phone, I finally gave up and just had to deal with it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I completely understand your frustration. As mentioned above, if the application is working fine offline then there is some issue with network security or permissions and you need your office IT team to get involved in it. We are absolutely available in case you need any help from our end.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what/where this is:

Go to Locations:

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Preferences

Also, you mention "working offline." How do I do this? Ready to try anything. Going on 20 billable hours lost thanks to this "upgrade."

Also, how do I turn off those obnoxious pop-ups? I don't need adware while I'm working.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have to turn off Wifi and remove any network connections to my machine. That would help, but would cause a problem if you want to search online while working. I also found that saving as .imdl files would help with the delay, but they I was having issues with version control. This issue was very frustrating and I lost many billable hours due to it. Good luck, I hope they find an answer for you soon!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2018 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

Alicia's issue is completely different. So right now we don't need to remove network connections in your case.

Below mentioned are Folder locations for InDesign preferences.

williamm97875483  wrote

Go to Locations:

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Preferences

Please open Finder

On Top menu Please click Go > "Go to Folder"

go_menu MAC.png

Then It will open a fillable Pop-Up to write the location

Type these locations one by one

~/Library/Caches

~/Library/Preferences

Go-to-folder-library mac.png

Launch InDesign from the CC.

Regards,

Srishti

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2018 1
Participant ,
Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the problem! (for me anyway). I had a WD MyCloud external drive that was perhaps trying to backup data in the background (a normal task). I unplugged the drive and no more InDesign frequent spinning wheel. I used to get the spinning wheel every 5-10 seconds  and it lasted for about 10 seconds. That's no way to work!

Anyway, I hope Adobe finds a way to fix this ASAP. No issues in any of my other apps, or so I think so far.

@srishtib8795206

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 15, 2018 1
Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Seb29 ,

don't know if Adobe developers can fix the issues you have with a third-party product, your WD MyCloud external drive.

What's your version of InDesign and operating system? Maybe there is a setting with WD MyCloud that should be changed so that it will not interrupt the running of InDesign?

Regards,
Uwe

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2018 1
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting your solution of removing your backup drive. InDesign was unusable for me and I was getting no where with the other suggestions. When I read your post I turned of the continuous backup software and the slowness issues were resolved. I am using Synology Drive for continuous backup. Just sharing in case someone else is in the same situation. I made no changes to InDesign - just temporarily disabled the backup and the slowness issues went away. I'll see if I can exclude the InDesign temp files from the backup - that should be a resonable long term solution.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 12, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree completely. I've been using this software since v 1.0. I've NEVER had so many issues as I have the past 12 months. Indesign is simply awful. It sometimes doesn't start at all. And I have to uninstall and reinstall. Then I set up all my preferences (for the 50th time, no exaggeration). Then it's fine, then for no obvious reason it'll beach ball and run slow again. My mac is very well maintained, I clean the system files regularly. But I am having so many technical issues with this software it's infuriating. I'm paying a lot of money per month for this software, and feel so frustrated by the total lack of support. I spend hours of un-billable time searching for solutions. It's just not good enough.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2019 3
Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would help if you could indicate your (exact) version of InDesign and OS and more detail of your issue(s).

Also how much RAM do you have?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 01, 2019 0
Participant ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RaCreate. Having recently upgraded to MacOS Catalina, I too had massive LAG and SLOW reaction times with Adobe CC, in particular InDesign. After experimenting with various ideas, I narrowed the culprit to the 5K LG Ultra Fine monitor display seetings.  If you change the colour PREFS from LG UltraFine to Apple RGB in the display settings, Adobe CC works brilliant. Seems Adobe has bypassed the code to LG UltraFine Display for MAC OS Catalina. Hope this helps. Pass this on please.

Ps. Explains why Mohave wasn't working well either. All good now though. The system is flying.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 2
New Here ,
May 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this - I just changed the profile on my 5k iMac to Apple RGB from a custom profile and InDesign is much faster. (I'm running Mojave 10.14.6).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 07, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS WORKED! This is the solution to the spinning wheel and lagging when trying to design in indesign

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 0
Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just ran through this entire thread and there are a couple of questions that I din't see mentioned. If I missed these, I apologize.

Are you using a custom preflight that is constantly checking your documents in the background? I've found that when working with layouts that have lots of large images and transparency, Preflight can slow things down to a crawl (including the spinning wheel of death on a Mac). Try turning off Preflight and see if everything speeds up dramatically.

Another possibile culprit, are you working in documents with lots of high-res images and complex vector files with your Display Performance set to High Quality Display. Every change you make can slow performance down to the point that you can't work. Try Typical View and see if Performance picks up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 30, 2018 4
Participant ,
Apr 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff. Having recently upgraded to MacOS Catalina, I too had massive LAG and SLOW reaction times with Adobe CC, in particular InDesign. After experimenting with various ideas, I narrowed the culprit to the 5K LG Ultra Fine monitor display seetings.  If you change the colour PREFS from LG UltraFine to Apple RGB in the display settings, Adobe CC works brilliant. Seems Adobe has bypassed the code to LG UltraFine Display for MAC OS Catalina. Hope this helps. Pass this on please.

Ps. Explains why Mohave wasn't working well either. All good now though. The system is flying.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2020 0