Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign's type tool (selection function) playing up

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 

Over the last month or so I've found that the type selction is not activating when I simply click on, or by, type that I want to edit, its most simple and primary task. If I have a text box full of type, one should just be able to click between word or drag across to select words.. etc and start editing. I'm finding that I have to keep frantically clicking before the blinking text cursur actually takes hold in the text box. Often the cursur flicks to a completely different function, like various eyedroppers, or reverts to the standard selection tool which then sticks to the text box and starts to drag it around... at which point after stabbing escape several times I have to try the whole process again. 

This is particularly embarrasing when I'm sharing screen and going through edits with a client. 

Is anyone else having this problem? Or have a solution?

Please help!!
Mat

TOPICS
Bug , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

A couple things I'd suggest trying:

One: (And this is a cool ProTip, if it works for you) Don't click on the Text tool when you want to edit text already set in a text frame. Move your cursor where you want to make your edit and double-click. By default, it should convert your Arrow/Selection tool into a text cursor and place the flashing cursor exactly where you want to make your changes. This doesn't fix the problem, but it is a great shortcut and is good for gee-whizzing your clients. Which

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A couple things I'd suggest trying:

One: (And this is a cool ProTip, if it works for you) Don't click on the Text tool when you want to edit text already set in a text frame. Move your cursor where you want to make your edit and double-click. By default, it should convert your Arrow/Selection tool into a text cursor and place the flashing cursor exactly where you want to make your changes. This doesn't fix the problem, but it is a great shortcut and is good for gee-whizzing your clients. Which leads to:

Two: You may need to reset your preferences. This essentially brings you back to where you'd be with a fresh install of InDesign without actually deleting and re-installing InDesign. Realize as you do this, however, that any custom preferences you may have set up will also be history as you do this hard reset. But it actually does fix a lot of little woes that may crop up with InDesign that are otherwise hard to fix.

Reset InDesign preferences. You'll find the information you want about a third of the way down this support page.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines