• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign says Fonts are Incomplete

Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My hard drive crashed last week, and I am slowly rebuilding. Many of my fonts were saved in a backup, and I have reinstalled them in my Windows/Fonts folder, and also in the closely-held secret that is InDesign's Fonts folder (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CC 2018\Fonts). However, when I go to package a book, it says many of these fonts are Incomplete.

They are not shortcuts; they are the font files themselves. They are installed in both locations. They are newly-installed.  I have deleted & reinstalled.  Shut down & restarted.  Still getting flagged as Incomplete.

Even more bizarre, when I try to package again, InDesign flags more of the fonts in the book as Incomplete.  In other words, on first attempt it said 4 out of the 6 fonts were incomplete.  On second attempt, it says 6 out of the 6 fonts are incomplete.

Incomplete fonts don't get packaged, so this is a problem.

How do I fix this problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

If I was betting on what is going on, I'd bet that you are on a relatively recent (last year or so) Windows 10 update.

See the announcement at the top of this forum at InDesign which describes the problem and workaround. (Hint, if you don't install fonts for all users, this problem occurs. Thus, uninstall the font(s) and reinstall them for all users.

Yes, this is a bug in both InDesign and Illustrator. I found it and posted the bug internally and hopefully a fix is forthcoming.

Let us know if this

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are some or all 6 fonts from Adobe Fonts/Typekit?

Or are they installed manually in Windows various folders?

Are you using a font manger program?

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you installed them, did you choose to install for all users?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I was betting on what is going on, I'd bet that you are on a relatively recent (last year or so) Windows 10 update.

See the announcement at the top of this forum at InDesign which describes the problem and workaround. (Hint, if you don't install fonts for all users, this problem occurs. Thus, uninstall the font(s) and reinstall them for all users.

Yes, this is a bug in both InDesign and Illustrator. I found it and posted the bug internally and hopefully a fix is forthcoming.

Let us know if this resolves your issue!

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalling for all users worked for me! I simply dragged the "incomplete" fonts to the desktop (in Windows 10), then right-clicked and chose Install for All Users. Thanks, Dov!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!! 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Dov Isaacs,

Unfortunately, this workaround is not a practical solution for those who use font managers, such as FontBase, on their Windows 10 machines.

For several reasons, I prefer not to (for lack of a better term) "hard install" non system fonts in Windows 10 but rather have them temporarily installed via my font manager

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use FontBase and just ran into this...it's problematic!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@A_omry and @jamiet77192662  you might contact Fontbase about this problem. https://fontba.se/

I use FontExplorer on my Windows workstations and don't have the problem. That leads me to wonder if it's something in Fontbase that is not working correctly with the newest Windows requirements.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it is not a good solution as the problem persists with Font Manager (for example Monotype Cloud).
Font Managers do not allow installing the fonts for all users. Can you fix the bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2022 Jul 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @ankee3649192 ,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Could you please share more details about what exactly is happening? We'll need the version of InDesign and the Operating System, we'll try our best to assist you with this.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Yeah! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines