Highlighted

InDesign sectioning problem

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a design with the text columns in the gutter and the images on the outside margins. I set up my master pages with wide outside margins to keep the text in place when I section the pages. I am working on journal articles and they all get formatted on page one until late in the process when order of articles and number of pages is established. Some articles will begin on an even page. When I section my document the text boxes move properlyn but the images float around. Is there a way to set up my master pages so this won't happen. I have seen a lot of books with a similar design so I am hoping there is a way.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign sectioning problem

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a design with the text columns in the gutter and the images on the outside margins. I set up my master pages with wide outside margins to keep the text in place when I section the pages. I am working on journal articles and they all get formatted on page one until late in the process when order of articles and number of pages is established. Some articles will begin on an even page. When I section my document the text boxes move properlyn but the images float around. Is there a way to set up my master pages so this won't happen. I have seen a lot of books with a similar design so I am hoping there is a way.

Topics

How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deborah:

Would you please share a before/after screen shots with hidden characters and frames showing?

And clarify exactly what you mean by "sectioning". 

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached are two spreads. Pages 2-3 (document starting on page 1) is the before shot. What I mean by sectioning is when I change page one to page 2 (Number and Section Options) under pages.

Pages 4-5 is the result I get when I repaginate to start the document on an even page instead of an odd page.

Thanks!!!

Deborah5C80

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deborah:

I don't see the attachements.

You can insert them into a web brower reply (not an email reply) by clicking the Insert Photos button (mountain range in a rectangle on the toolbar), or put them on a file sharing server like dropbox and post the link in your reply. 

~Barb 

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 9.14.53 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you receive the reply with the screenshots?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you setting up the document with facing pages? That way the spread that you set up in the two page spread Master Page area will put the graphics correctly on the outside margin as spreads are added in the document. If you are unfamilier with facing pages you can see David Blatner's video about them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWE3xnVh6gs or read about using them here: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/pages-spreads.html.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pages are set up as facing pages. The problem is that I have my text boxes toward the gutter and the images on the outside margins. When I change the pagination from starting on an odd page to starting on an even page InDesign can't mirror the images. I have attached before and after screenshots.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, still no screen shots. 

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I click on the insert photo button and check on saved photos. It says there are 14 photos saved since I have tried uploading them so many times. Is there another step after I upload so you can see them?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by working through Bill's answer. If that doesn't do it, please put them on dropbox and post a link to them.

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines