• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Server: Adminport and Heartbeat - How Does It Work?

Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi my fellow ID server developers, 

I am trying to find information about the -heartbeatupdateinterval and -adminport parameters. The parameters are documented, but not now to acutally use the admin port. I found a couple of unanswered questions here in the forum, and there is an AIR application that seems to monitor the heartbeat, but I don't have an AIR development system. I've tried to telnet into the port to see if anything comes back at the specified interval, but I don't see any information on that port. 

I am using the Windows version of ID Server.

Any information you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks, 

Karl Heinz 

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

InDesignServer has some administrative features like "ping"(status) and "kill"(terminate instances), useful to check whether IDS is hung or is actually busy processing a job. In order to use these administrative features, you need to specify a mandatory "-adminport" parameters when starting IDS, the other two optional parameters are "-host" and "-heartbeatUpdateInterval".

Say for example you want to monitor the health of your running IDS instances, the parameter "-heatbeatinterval" is used to sp

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. I am not sure if we get your query completely. If you are looking for some info about the adminport and heartbeat usage as command line arguments, here are the details:

• ‘‐adminport’ or ‘/adminport’: This is the port number at which console opens a server socket & listens for administrative requests like kill, ping etc. It’s a mandatory argument if ping IDS feature needs to be used.
  • ‘‐host’ or ‘/host’: This is the host name or IP address of system where IDS is launched. If not specified, then we try to get host address programmatically.
  • ‘‐heartbeatupdateinterval’ or ‘/heartbeatupdateinterval’: This is the interval at which IDS application updates IDS console application with last activity timestamp. It is an optional parameter & it has a default value of 20 seconds.

Following are exposed as read only properties

• adminPort: Admin port number. It is ‐1 if no admin port is specified.
  • hostname: host name of IP address of the system where IDS is running.
  • heartbeatUpdateInterval: This is the interval at which IDS application updates IDS console application with last active timestamp.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Srishti,

thanks for your reply. What you quoted is the information I already have from the InDesign server documentation and the JavaScript documentation. Maybe the missing piece is that I don't know what the IDS console is. How do I monitor the health of multiple instances of InDesign Server? 

I was hoping to write e.g. a Python program to do that, but I am not getting any information from the admin port. 

Thanks,

Karl Heinz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Srishti Bali - Are you still monitoring this question? Please see my comments in my last reply. Is there any other information you can provide to help me with my task. As I mentioned in my original question, the SDK has source code for an AIR application, but with the EOL of Flash, it would be more useful to have this as e.g. a Java or C++ tool. I have not had access to a Flex development environment in probably ten years, so compiling and running this application is not an option for me. I am looking for an alternative. 

Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am very interested in answers to the same questions, although we run IDS on MacOS. We would like to monitor our IDS instances – thru the built in heartbeat function if possible.

Me neither have understood how the IDS console works. When starting that application, nothing  visible is happening. So I guess it is a background service, but I havent found any documentation on how to use it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Karl Heinz Kremer,

Did you make any progress in this regard? I see this troubling other folks as well and with this scant documentation it's difficult to guide folks to the right path

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 05, 2023 Sep 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I did not get anywhere and never received any other information from Adobe. I moved on to other projects. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not good. I don't know why some documentation is so hard to get.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2023 Sep 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rishabh_Tiwari can you help us out on this one as well. With LBQ no longer shipped, can we get some information on how to access these admin features of InDesign Server from an application like a C++ or JAVA application.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2024 Jan 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesignServer has some administrative features like "ping"(status) and "kill"(terminate instances), useful to check whether IDS is hung or is actually busy processing a job. In order to use these administrative features, you need to specify a mandatory "-adminport" parameters when starting IDS, the other two optional parameters are "-host" and "-heartbeatUpdateInterval".

Say for example you want to monitor the health of your running IDS instances, the parameter "-heatbeatinterval" is used to specify the time interval IDS keep a record of the last activity timestamp, it's an optional parameter as it defaults to 20 seconds

Example

InDesignServer -port 12345 -adminport 3002 -heartbeatUpdateInterval 5

To perform administrative tasks, create a socket and send a message, either "ping" or "kill"

Example

import socket

HOST = "localhost"  # server's hostname or IP address
ADMINPORT = 3002  # admin port number of the running IDS instance

with socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM) as s:
    s.connect((HOST, ADMINPORT))
    s.sendall(b"ping")
    data = s.recv(1024)

print(f"Last activity timestamp : {data!r}")

Messaged receieved example : 

Last activity timestamp : b'2024-01-11 10:27:36'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information. Unfortunately it took a little too long to be published - at least for me: I am starting a new job today that no longer involves the InDesign server. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your answer Lohri. 
However, it would have been more useful for us If three years ago if Adobe had been quicker to answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines