InDesign Share for Review - FAQ

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Share for Review in InDesign’s June 2020 release, you can share your designs for online review, and manage feedback right within the app. Stakeholders can open the shared document in a browser to provide feedback. Share for Review streamlines and simplifies the review process for both designers and their stakeholders 

workflow.png

The following FAQs provide clarity on common questions around Share for Review 

Share the document for review - FAQ

View reviewer comments - FAQ 

Review the document - FAQ

Best practices

How is Share for Review different from the ‘Integrated comment and review’ feature in InDesign CS5? How does it compare to the Import PDF Comments (IPC) feature?  

Adobe is investing in features and services that make creative collaboration easier and more enjoyable.  

With Share for Review, our aspiration is to make reviewing and editing InDesign creative more seamless, and address the following limitations in CS Review: 

• Requirement for a flash plugin to use this feature 
  • Lack of support for key features such as email notifications 
  • User challenges with feature discoverability 

Compared to Import PDF Comments (IPC), Share for Review reduces time by eliminating the need to create and share PDFs and collate the resulting feedback. We will be working to enhance the reviewing features and capabilities in Share for Review, which will soon help this tool surpass the experience of IPC, from end to end.   

Does Share for Review include text commenting capabilities? 

This first version of the feature allows you to provide feedback through the sticky note and pencil tools. We will continue to improve the experience, and we will soon incorporate more text commenting capabilities, including text highlight, text strikethrough, and the ability to accept text comments in a single click. 

Is this feature being introduced into InCopy?  

It is not. Instead, we’ll be making significant updates to InCopy by taking it to the Web to provide better collaboration capabilities. Stay tuned!    

What text capabilities do I have as a reviewer?  

As a reviewer, you will be able to highlight text, strikethrough text, and replace text corresponding to your comment. 

share-for-review-text-edit-tools-NFS.png

Let us know of any challenges, or questions you have for us around Share for Review and we’ll be happy to assist you. 

TOPICS
Feature request, How to, Import and export, Performance, Publish online, Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 15, 2020 6
294 Replies 294
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having troubles with the Review. I've used it before without problems. Right now, and yesterday, I am getting a blank box. I have reset everything; still no resolve. What should I do?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 22, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologize for the delay in responding. 

Are you still facing the trouble? Is it happening with a particular document or with all the documents?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had many of the problems others have mentioned so far, but after using this successfully, today I'm clicking on a pin that my client has placed but it's linking to the wrong comment (on a different spread). When I click on the comment that I believe is associated with the pin, the pin is highlighted — so that works. However, this is very confusing since there are many comments and I need to make sure I'm addressing the correct ones.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops — ok, it IS working but the top of the comment is cut off. It pins to the bottom of the comment rather than the top. So if it's a long comment, I only see the last couple sentences. This is confusing!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 22, 2020 0
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. This feature seems great. We tried sharing a document for review with a few people and it worked great. An hour later, i reopened InDesign the document I originally shared and wanted to share it with another person but the share panel asked me to create a new document. Is there a way to add people to review after the file has been closed and reopened?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 24, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Starbreaker,

what did you do exactly before you closed the document and (perhaps) quit InDesign?

[1] Did you save the document with Save?

[2] Did you save the document with Save As to the same name?

[3] Did you save the document with Save As to a different name?

If [2] you start again with a blank Share for Review panel.

I tested this and also wrote a bug report.

If [3] the same happens: You start with a blank Share for review panel.

You should be able to revert to a previous version of your document in this case.

Maybe you can get the entries in the Share For Review panel then. Did not test that yet.

But that's no good option at all.

Speculative:

[4] Did you switch machines to open the document from a shared file server?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2020 0
Participant ,
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We (Appalachian Search and Rescue Conference) started using this on the first day it came out to review, comment on and ultimately revise our Training Standards. It was helpful, and using a public URL with a password worked fine for us, but we found we had to give the following instructions to people to get them to use it correctly:

• To connect a comment to a specific point on a "spread" (two pages), you have to click on either the Pin or Draw icons in the top right of the right-hand comments panel; then, click or draw on the spread to connect your comments to a specific part of the document.
  • You can't edit text directly, and selecting text does not connect it with a comment (hope the add this soon).
  • You can copy text and paste it into a comment with your suggested revision below it.
  • Password is xxxxxx

Seemed to work pretty well at first, but then I found I couldn't archive the comments for those working on the next revision. I finally ended up using Snagit's Panoramic Scrolling Capture of (separately) the main window and the comments window and printing to PDF.

But then we've started using it for another of our governing documents. I posted a link and one person posted some comments, and then a couple of us added about half a page of text to the beginning of the document. And then, I think I made a terrible, terrible mistake… In InDesign, in the Share for Review panel, I clicked the Update Link button.

Now, the pins for her comments are all in the same place on the spreads… but the text it was supposed to refer to has now moved half a page away from the pin. Not sure if this is a bug or a feature; we're figuring this is primarily for graphic-intensive spreads and not primarily-text documents.

a) Is there any way to recover from this so that we can see what her comments were referring to?

b) What should we suggest at Uservoice as a fix to this? I guess it would depend on the underlying code. Certainly highlighting text to anchor a comment would be the easiest from a user perspective, but I suspect that would require major changes in the code, and there might be other ways to deal with this.

Thanks for any help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 25, 2020 0
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for the appreciation for the Share for Review feature. 

For your questions, 

1. As of now, there isn't any way to recover the comments like a previous version because once you move the pin the comment along with it also moves.

Also, once the comment has been worked upon you can resolve it because in that way you can filter all of them later to see again. 

2. On the UserVoice, you can just suggest the request you have and the team will get back to you for the details.

Regards,

Sheena

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 27, 2020 0