• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign stuck in "Touch" workspace on first open

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Brand new laptop (HP Zbook with touchscreen, Windows 10), just installed InDesign and open for the first time, I get this unfriendly "touch" screen (see screenshot) but cannot click (or touch) anything, or press any keyboard shortcut. I also tried what's described here without success (this is the first time I open InDesign on this computer). I'm running out of ideas, please help, thanks!

{6FC4C323-249D-438E-993C-512A36B77B4B}.png.jpg

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Ah, I think I just solved it for myself. Closing InDesign and opening an existing .indd, THEN disabling the Touch workspace worked for me. I'd still like Adobe to be aware of this and look into it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I think I just solved it for myself. Closing InDesign and opening an existing .indd, THEN disabling the Touch workspace worked for me. I'd still like Adobe to be aware of this and look into it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing to fix. This is normal behavior on touch devices to make you aware of its existence. Choose another workspace and you shouldn't see it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it cannot be normal behavior: Like I said, the interface is fully unresponsive in that initial view, I am therefore unable to exit Touch workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the laptop touch enabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the touchscreen on the laptop works. I tried to bring the window over to the laptop screen to try to interact with the interface but again none of the buttons respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2022 Jul 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed 7 of 2022.

This behavior is happening on my ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo Laptop. The solution does work for me. But on intiail load the UI is 100% non-responsive to ANY input from Touch or from Mouse/Keyboard. This is, without a doubt, a defect in the tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2024 Jan 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what happened to me. And my laptop doesn't even have a touchscreen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2024 Jan 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out. With the Touch Workspace, you can create your layouts using hand gestures that InDesign converts into graphics. The Touch Workspace is supported on all Microsoft Windows touch-enabled devices. Besides tablets, this also includes touch-enabled desktops or laptop computers. To disable it please follow the steps shared in the correct answer of this post. For more information on the touch workspace, please check this article.

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is absolutely something to fix, as the way to exit the workspace is not clickable. Just happened to me also, first time running Indesign after a rebuild.

Yes, obviously the thing is touch-enabled, as otherwise Indesign would not launch in touch mode.This is a bug, not a feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2023 Jan 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - desktop with Cintiq. On first launch, Indesign is completely unresponsive on the non-Cintiq primary monitor because it's assuming the Touch workspace. Thanks to the workaround described above, I created an empty text file, changed the extension to INDD and opened that to change my workspace to anything non-touch.
It is bizarre to me that it assumes touch because touch seems so useless for this software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a new Wacom Cintiq and am having the same problem, but managed to solve it: I turn off the tablet before opening InDesign. Then InDesign opens normally! None of the other solutions suggested here work; the software is completely unresponsive in "Touch" mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this is still happening in June 2023. Just got Indesign installed on a P15v Lenovo thinkpad with touch screen. On first app launch, the touch workspace is enabled and completely unresponsive to touch. I know my tough screen is activated because it has touch animation every time my finger touches the screen. I closed indesign and re-opened, then was able to change the workspace to a non-touch one. However, this is a bug, and still needs to be fixed. I remember having to deal with this on an older version of indesign as well. Currently I'm using 18.3 (2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

January 2024, and this just happened to me. Luckily I found this thread right away, and your solution worked. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the only answer that actually helped me. It says you're a "community beginner" but maybe you should be a "community expert." 

It's still a bug and they should fix it (i found a thread several years old about this same thing, so clearly it's a known issue) but at least i can use the program now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2024 Apr 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just happened to me on a computer that has no touchscreen. So 1st problem is demo with no visible way to dismiss it. Second problem is mistakenly defaulting to touchmode on a computer with no touchscreen. The algorythm has some holes in it. I reported it as a bug and a feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the trouble. If you have any existing ID document, please try opening it and then changing the workspace. You can also try the suggestions shared in this discussion. Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2023 Jun 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happens to me every time I need to reinstall/reset InDesign. Here is what I can assess is happening: Indesign senses I am on a touch screen computer (I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro), and opens in touch mode. However, I am using two monitors, and my second monitor (non-touch) is my primary display. @BobLevine, the bug is that I cannot touch/click/move anything. It is stuck frozen. I can't select a new workspace. Literally the only thing I can do is go to task manager and force it to exit.

I can fix this if, after  I force-close InDesign, go to my computer's display settings and set my surface screen as the primary monitor. Then, when I reopen InDesign, it opens on my touch screen and I can switch workspaces via touch (then reset my display settings how I want).

I don't use my touch screen often at all. This is a frustrating headache for me every time I reinstall InDesign or do a refresh on my computer to keep things tidy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2023 Jun 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, once you change the workspace to non-touch, it stays set that way, at least until a program update? I've just been turning off my touchscreen monitor whenever I want to use InDesign, but if I could set the workspace to stay semi-permanently out of touch (ha), that would be a lot more useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 25, 2023 Jun 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This behavior as a default SUCKS. I have a convertible laptop on a docking station that I can't use a new install of InDesign on a new device at all becuase of thise awful, awful design decision. 

How can a company so integral to print and graphic design make such an awful user interface design choice? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2023 Jul 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

July 2023. It's absolutely not "normal" because every other CC app i have lets you use it without this weird behavior. If Adobe desperately needs the users to know touch mode is available, even though my graphics display pen is far more precise than a stubby human finger(?!?!), maybe they should try a friendly, closeable popup instead of a bizarrely aggressive mandatory tutorial lol 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2023 Sep 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Léonard Roussel ,

it happened to me this year with InDesign 2023 version 18.3 and version 18.5 as well.

On a brand new windows 11 laptop where Adobe Creative Cloud was installed the first time.

What I noticed is this:

The first time InDesign was started up InDesign was not responsive at all.

And I had a different scaling of the GUI than you showed in your screenshot in April 2021:

FirstStart-InDesign-18.3-TouchWorkspace-1.png

With InDesign 18.3 I had to force quit the app to move on:

FirstStart-InDesign-18.3-TouchWorkspace-2.png

After the second startup InDesign presented itself like that, with a little tutorial:

FirstStart-InDesign-18.3-TouchWorkspace-3.png

At this point I still could not quit InDesign 18.3 with a keyboard command. And I could not change the workspace.

I had to follow the little tutorial up to the end. Only then I had the chance to switch to a different workspace!

Nearly the same thing happend with InDesign 18.5 on the same machine, but this time the keyboard command for quitting the app worked after the first start up. In both cases only the second startup gave me the chance to change the workspace.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( Adobe Community Expert )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is doing this to me too. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and nothing worked. I tried doing what you did and that didn't work for me. It just froze again.

aslaton8_0-1638625287034.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing similar difficulty!Screenshot 2022-08-09 075952.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2023 Mar 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot is identical to the problem I'm having. Initial install on Microsoft Surface Pro laptop; disabled touch mode on the laptop with no change in the issue. Tried unistalling and reinstalling--nothing. I also have no previous InDesign files to use as a workaround like the original poster did. I wonder why no one from Adobe has posted any response to this thread...there's just the one answer which doesn't seem helpful to almost everybody.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines