• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign suddenly has problems selecting the most basic things

Mentor ,
Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For about the past two weeks, I've been experiencing a frustrating problem on two Mac installations of InDesign 13.1. When an object is selected and I click on a color swatch to change its color, about 30% of the time it will not take effect. If I have multiple objects selected and I click on one of those objects again, instead of assigning that object as the key object like it should, the entire group of objects moves slightly to the left. I am absolutely sure I am not moving the mouse when this happens. Also, regarding the color change not taking effect, I can tell the mouse click is registering with the computer because the swatch name highlights briefly when I click. Again, this happens on two computers, and only started happening within the past couple of weeks. Look at how many times it fails in this short video; you can imagine how maddening it is trying to use InDesign for production now.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Aug 30, 2018 Aug 30, 2018

All right, I believe I've tracked down the culprit: a recent update to Smart Scroll by Marc Moini. Huzzah!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I can imagine, but I'm not able to recreate it on my system (Mac 10.12.6; InDesign 13.1).

I know you know this, but have you been through the various levels of resetting preferences (keyboard, manual, deleting cache files).

If you've done all that and it's still happening, remember to post it as a bug here:

Adobe InDesign Feedback

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I reset preferences, deleted and reinstalled InDesign, and it's still happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And deleted the cache files?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To delete cache files follow the instructions from the last section of this post: CC 2018 InDesign—Don't Import previous settings and preferences .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill: my post wouldn't post! Jive is driving me nuts!!!

But I guess it didn't matter, Kris. I'd go ahead and report it, and link back to this post.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I found and deleted all the cache files. Still no dice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact same thing is happening on 2 computers, and it started on both around the same time? I don't know if anyone's ever gonna explain that.

Are they in the same place? Same network? Same-model (perhaps wireless) input devices? Are you wearing foil on your head? WTɈ?

We all know you're no novice with this stuff. I don't know what to think. Keep us posted if anything changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They're both late 2015 iMacs using Logitech-brand mice (although different models of mice). But they're located in different cities. I don't remember installing any point release updates recently. I'm stumped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But are they running off of a common server? If so, is it possible to test one of the computers with a local installation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, they are both local installations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by closing InDesign, then go to Library > Caches and delete the Adobe InDesign folder. It will get recreated when you restart the application. If deleting it makes you nervous, just move it to your desktop. If this doesn't help, you can always close InDesign and move it back.

And remember that the Library folder is hidden by default, so hold the Opt key when you open the Go menu in Finder to see it listed.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installing 13.0.1 now... we'll see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Still happens in 13.0.1. Also tried a Microsoft mouse and removing the Extensis Suitcase plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In an interesting turn of events, the problem does not occur in Safe Mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All right, I believe I've tracked down the culprit: a recent update to Smart Scroll by Marc Moini. Huzzah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice work!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if anyone's ever gonna explain that.

I knew you'd figure it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello KrisHunt, 

Thank you for feedback about inDesign has problem. I am very struggle and Frustation with File-Export save is failed. My teacher doesn't know about inDesign. Because point Format and Suppose Add list PDF and JPEG suppose upgrade inDesign make a good everything okay. I am still Academy Arts of University and I have a practice Adobe for get Certificate for a Job. Thanks

Cynthia Tiwan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines