Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Table Grid Lines Disappear when Exported to PDF

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am currently using InDesign to create a document, and I have created a certain table in this document. This table has several rows and columns, and in some cells there are text and in other cells there are images directly inserted into the cell. My problem is that for no apparent reason some of the grid lines between the cells completely disappear or become invisible when I export to PDF. Furthermore, these specific lines become thinner when I zoom out in InDesign, but other lines do not. Does anyone have a solution to this?

InDesign:

Nate5E73_1-1603461192637.png

PDF:

Nate5E73_0-1603461164315.png

Thanks.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Thank you - and I take it that you don't want those files shared publicly so I will respect that and not share the file unless you specify this.

Just to note - there's nothing wrong with what you have done - it's an  onscreen viewing issue, when I zoom in and out on both InDesign and PDF the row strokes are intact, but clearly there's a viewing issue with the strokes. 

On inspection - you can see the areas interacting with the stroke edges as these images do not have a transparent background

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you placed the image into the cell as anchored text

Or did you convert the cell to a graphic cell?

If it's anchored it might be just going over the edge of the table, so the white background is blocking the image.

Try reducing the size of your image frames in the cells

or

Try converting it to a graphic cell. https://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=2418568

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pretty sure that these are graphic cells, considering as I have the option to convert them to text cells. Do you have any further solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, what would be the best way to do that?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eugene, I sent you the link in a private message. I only included the relevant page of the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you - and I take it that you don't want those files shared publicly so I will respect that and not share the file unless you specify this.

Just to note - there's nothing wrong with what you have done - it's an  onscreen viewing issue, when I zoom in and out on both InDesign and PDF the row strokes are intact, but clearly there's a viewing issue with the strokes. 

On inspection - you can see the areas interacting with the stroke edges as these images do not have a transparent background, and interfere with the visibility of the stroke width of the table. 

Untitled.png

I'd be on the side of filing this as a BUG!

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Put the file on dropbox and add the link in your reply (public) or message one of us individually (private).

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nate,

if some of the cell borders look thinner than the others it could be that your PDF viewing app is "smoothing" lines or enhance edges for screen representation. You can do not much to prevent this. The only solution would be to have two stacked tables. One with the contents, text and graphics without borders; plus another table stacked on top with no contents and borders only.

At least that's my experience with phenomenons like that.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines