Exit

InDesign Table in 2 column layout

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there everyone,

hope you are all safe and healthy.

I am having difficulty placing a table in a 2 column text layout. I would like the table to be able to start in one column and continue in the next. At the moment, it bumps up the table to the second column due to space...

Here is an image of what I would like it to look like...(it is not a table in the image....)

Any suggestions/solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Joe.

Screenshot 2020-04-26 at 15.32.08.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Hi Joe,

there is a control in the options for tables using the header ( or footer ) with columns or threaded text frames.

Currently I'm not at my machine so I cannot give you a screenshot, but the help files for tables should describe this as well ( hm, the description how to do this could be more explicit 😞

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creating-tables.html#add_table_headers_and_footers

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe,

the attachment feature of the forum is broken.

Please edit your post and add the screenshot using the forum editor.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joe,

there is a control in the options for tables using the header ( or footer ) with columns or threaded text frames.

Currently I'm not at my machine so I cannot give you a screenshot, but the help files for tables should describe this as well ( hm, the description how to do this could be more explicit 😞

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/creating-tables.html#add_table_headers_and_footers

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

Its not so much the header thats the issue, it really is the placement of the table and its continuation on the next column. For the moment, even if I place my cursor after the title and insert the table, as soon as I put text in (too much text to be contained in one column) it bumps the whole table to the next column...I would like it to start where I wanted and continue to the next. I have no flexibility or management on the start position of the table. Unless I can replace the table with a paragraph style that would give me the same result...?

J.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Joe,

yes, that is expected behavior for a table cell.

The single table cell cannot break and continue automatically if its contents does not fit into a text column.

It's always all or nothing.

Vladan suggested a solution not to use InDesign's table feature.

For the sample screenshot you provided that's the best solution, I think.

I hope you will vote for this feature request at InDesign UserVoice:

Option to split table rows across pages
April 05, 2018

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/33854788-op...

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines