• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Table of Contents Alphabetical Order Off Due to Spaces in Titles

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the company I work for, we have bibliographies using Table of Contents at the end of our book documents listing the articles referenced. One strange situation I learned about recently but has been a problem for past versions of the book documents is that the spaces don't seem to register into the alphabetical ordering of the articles. For example, "A Cause...", "Accuracy and...", "A Clinical...", "Activation and...", "Addressing Sleep...", "A Different", etc. I think the reason this issue wasn't spotted earlier is because most articles don't start with a single letter like A.

Is there a way to fix this issue, or is this a common problem? There are a lot of documents and article references that relate to the bibliographies, and the documents have some years in age now (roughishly 4). There are other small issues that the bibliographies can have, but I don't think any of those issues relate to this one.

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

You might find the Sort Paragraphs script useful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might find the Sort Paragraphs script useful. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Paragraph Style Bibliography.png

The Sort Paragraphs script is very handy, and I'll definitely make use of it in the future, but an issue is that the style of the bibliography includes citation details underneath in a different style, and when I use Sort Paragraphs, it separates the smaller citation from the main titles. Is there a way to sort without losing the Table of Contents style keeping the citations together with their article titles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines