• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Table Tutorials

Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2021 Jul 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's odd to me that the "Help" tab > InDesign Tutorials, refers to three, short, basic tutorials professionally produced by indepenant contributor Matthew Pizzi. in which "Chapter" materials (chapter 8?) are referred to which do not seem readily available?

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/how-to.html/aem_id~'playlist/indesign/graphic-design/create-tables'

Does Abode offer a complete course on InDesign Tables which roll through ALL of the options in the Table, Table Style, Cell Style dialog boxes?

Is there one course, or one source of instruction? Or must I search YouTube and this community for each instance I need to learn from random (thankfully willing) netizens?

Am I missing something? Other than the days of having a printed manual right next to my computer?

Steven Lee.

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LinkedIn Learning has a step-by-step video tutorial (You can get 30-days free access):

InDesign: Tables by Diana Burns

What if you could create graphics-based tables or tables that don't even look like tables? Tables are powerful design tools, but they're not always used to their full potential. In this course, Diane Burns shows how to create and format tables in new ways. Learn how to create special alternating fills and interesting stroke patterns; use graphic cells to integrate images into your tables; change the shape of a table with anchored shapes; and highlight columns to draw the eye to important data. Plus, find out how to use tables in unique ways such as creating infographics and complex page layouts.

Learning objectives

• Navigating and selecting tables
  • Formatting text in tables
  • Working with fills
  • Inserting and deleting rows and columns
  • Rotating text
  • Dealing with overset text
  • Applying cell and table styles
  • Updating table data
  • Working with graphic cells
  • Creating infographics with tables
  • Creating pull quotes and design objects using tables
  • Exporting tables to EPUB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good ref thanks!

That leads to the answer: no, Adobe does not offer a comprehensive equivalent to a user manual.

Your reference is appreciated, any others are welcomed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's this https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/user-guide.html

I can also recommend the Photoshop Classroom in a Book, which includes a training website matched with the book: https://www.adobepress.com/store/adobe-photoshop-classroom-in-a-book-2021-release-9780136904731

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THAT'S THE TICKET!!!!
I think I have the last set of printed manuals Adobe ever sent out. CS3. I made such a fuss about the drop in support on guy sent me the set. Still have them thought the interface has changed more than a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, the table and cell styles was originally a third-party addon to InDesign that Adobe purchased from Teacup Software. It dates back to I think CS or CS2 and there is nothing intuitive about creating those styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THAT'S WHAT IT FEELS LIKE! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those of us who are live trainers also teach the table features in their entirety, and can answer your questions as we go. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barb Binder. I was hoping for a manual or equivalent. There is no substitution for having a publisher-provided, close-at-hand-reference manual or video library. Those days are long over I guess.

Outside training courses, institutional and private, and or independant publications were always available for Adobe products that seems to be the only avenue?

However, I just bought a course on Adobe's Textkit only to find it was obsolete. Adobe has changed the Textkit to something else. Thge course is just under 3 years old. This also seems to be true for the GREP quieries I am learning, which work with this version but not that version.

The rapid obsolence factor seems to be true for any book I find as well! That has got to be a challenge for you trainers and publishers?!

Aside from obsolence, buying or subscribing to professional training courses offer a challenge to a semi-retired user. The skinny to me is that it's beginning to cost more to buy, in time and money, and learn (and re-learn, and re-learn, and re-learn) the product than I earn with it!!!!

Until then, it's hunt and peck learning in here for me though I feel guilty about impinging on your expertise!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @steven lees50590297:

What GREP reference are you using? I highly recommend @Peter Kahrel's GREP in InDesign.

https://www.amazon.com/GREP-InDesign-InDesignSecrets-Peter-Kahrel/dp/0982508387

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steven,

if you want to work extensively with tables consider the plug-in SmartStyles from Woodwing:

https://www.woodwing.com/en/smart-styles-adobe-indesign-plugin

Also look into special scripts. Auto Column is by Gerald Singelmann:

https://github.com/gsingelmann/indd_autocolumn

Regards,

Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OOOOO That Github link looks deep! A bit beyond me but something to lean towards. Danke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines