• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign template for an actual book to print

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello all, I have been looking for free indesign  templates to start my own book on comparative studies and I will need to place so many different sizes of images there. My focus is writing and publishing  the book and not design can you help me find such an easy to deal with book template? I have looked in Adobe Stock for long before asking for help, you cannot find any free actual to print book templates only photo books or look books or magazines which are not what I need 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Guide , Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Do you have much experience with page layout in general, or specifically using InDesign? I can't be sure, but it sounds like you might be looking for something you can just plug your type and images into. There are probably templates out there that will let you do that to one extent or another, but you should consider who will be getting this book after you, but before it gets to the public. Will it be a printer, or maybe you're looking to do an ebook of some sort. If you're not skilled in InDes

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru , Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

If you want to write a book as you design it, you will go mad. 

you should be writing your manuscript in word, once edited you can place on to indesign and apply styles as you go, or work from an indesign file with styles and map styles. 

if you have no clue how to do this, stop, and get a designer to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have much experience with page layout in general, or specifically using InDesign? I can't be sure, but it sounds like you might be looking for something you can just plug your type and images into. There are probably templates out there that will let you do that to one extent or another, but you should consider who will be getting this book after you, but before it gets to the public. Will it be a printer, or maybe you're looking to do an ebook of some sort. If you're not skilled in InDesign (and I'm not saying whether you are or aren't), you could spend a lot of time, only to find your printer or distributor needed it done in a different way, and you might have to re-do what you spent a lot of time doing already.

You might want to check with who ever will be in that middle position between you and your audience to see what they want before you start. Maybe they can lead you to what you need. Or, if you can be more specific, I or someone on the forum can help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for you kind comment, I have a design background but this would be my first book. I am familiar with indesign but don't master it. I have cold feet to publish my own book but I have content with great value,  that's why I thought of using a proper template. 

I thought that I should first finish a book draft then show it to a publisher ready to print. I don't have a budget to give the job to someone. 
Do you recommend doing it as ebook to reach my audience more easily? It's a book on cultural similarities between two cultures and there are so many photos to highlight these similarities . 
After reading your comment I will research more about ebooks. 
thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to write a book as you design it, you will go mad. 

you should be writing your manuscript in word, once edited you can place on to indesign and apply styles as you go, or work from an indesign file with styles and map styles. 

if you have no clue how to do this, stop, and get a designer to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Print books are not just done by amateurs. If you do this yourself you're going to run into many problems and cost you a lot of money to fix. 

I went to college for 4 years to learn all about printing and design for printing and I worked an apprenticeship for 4 years to learn how to do this.

If you don't think it's worth paying someone with the skills you don't have to complete the work then you really do not value your own work.

Would you download a template to fix your car, or would you find a qualified mechanic to complete the work for you?

Think about it - if you value your work - hire a professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank  you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines