• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign text autoflow

Participant ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In older versions of InDesign I could place a Word doc on the first page and then hold down shift as I clicked on the next page and the text would autoflow and create as many pages as needed. InDesign 2020 doesn't seem to do this.

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Here are two quick autoflow demos for you to take a look at—in both cases, page 2 is added automatically.

1.) No primary frames. Shift+click to autoflow the Word doc. Watch for the solid curved line cursor.

autoflow.gif

2.) Primary frames in place. Simply click to autoflow the Word doc.

autoflow1.gif

Please take a look at these two workflows, and let us know what exactly you are doing.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has changed about this. I just tested it again just now and it perfectly works. BTW, it is better to hold the shift key when you begin to import the text on the first page: the text will directly autoflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ensure you have Smart Text Reflow ticked, under the Type tab, in InDesign preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, it works even if the preference is unticked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you placing the Word doc into a Master’s Primary Text frames, a Master’s threaded text flow (not Primary Text Frames), or are you not using masters and flowing the Word doc to the page margins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking it might have something to do with the master pages text boxes, although I tried it with and without them witth no sucess. I'll experiment some more, thanks for all the suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want the main text flow to be attached to a master, the master page threaded frames should normally be Primary.

Screen Shot 8.png

A Primary frame’s icon

Screen Shot 9.png

Primary text frames are automatically overridden on the pages when you set the document up with Primary Text Frame checked, so all you have to do is select, or click inside of the first page’s Primary frame–if you click outside the text will get placed on the page and not in the master’s Primary textflow.

To get the placed text in a primary text frame to auto flow you will need Smart Text Reflow checked as Derek suggests

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are two quick autoflow demos for you to take a look at—in both cases, page 2 is added automatically.

1.) No primary frames. Shift+click to autoflow the Word doc. Watch for the solid curved line cursor.

autoflow.gif

2.) Primary frames in place. Simply click to autoflow the Word doc.

autoflow1.gif

Please take a look at these two workflows, and let us know what exactly you are doing.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I’ve been using InDesign since it supplanted PageMaker some 20 years ago and I’ve never noticed a primary text frame, but that solved the problem. Thanks, all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines