Highlighted

Indesign text has disappeared from text boxes, but still shows in story editor

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of my text frames are not showing words anymore. The text is visible in story editor, but not in the actual working document. I will attach an image of a screenshot of where the text frames are. Any one have any insight as to what happened here? 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Connor,

from your screenshot in your last post:

This document is somehow defect. I'd suggest you to export it to IDML, open the IDML file as document and save with a different name.

If this is not working:

Select all the frames on the spread where the pasteboard is looking through and obscures the pages on it.

Use the selection marquee and do not Select All. Copy the selected contents to the clipboard, add another spread and do Paste In Place. Then remove the weird spread with all its contents and pages.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Indesign text has disappeared from text boxes, but still shows in story editor

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of my text frames are not showing words anymore. The text is visible in story editor, but not in the actual working document. I will attach an image of a screenshot of where the text frames are. Any one have any insight as to what happened here? 

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Laubender | Adobe Community Professional

Hi Connor,

This document is somehow defect. I'd suggest you to export it to IDML, open the IDML file as document and save with a different name.

If this is not working:

Select all the frames on the spread where the pasteboard is looking through and obscures the pages on it.

Use the selection marquee and do not Select All. Copy the selected contents to the clipboard, add another spread and do Paste In Place. Then remove the weird spread with all its contents and pages.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 21, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you view the text via the Story Editor, does it have a red line next to it? It's likely that you inadvertently set your defaults for the document and it's applying to every text frame now. Ususally it's something like a really big space before or space after value on the paragraph.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No red line in the story editor. Everything was looking fine as I've been wokring on this project for many months.. But all of a sudden the text does not show in the working text frames.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some texts are fine and still show throughout the document, but other just do not show anymore.. There Doesn't seem to be any reason to the madness either..

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also another symptom of whatever happened.. Not sure what happened here.. The top page is definitely not supposed to look like this hahaha...

Capture.JPG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send a screen shot of the text frames with the problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2020 0
Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Connor,

If this is not working:

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 22, 2020 1