Highlighted

InDesign Textbox keeps disappearing

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this question might have already been answer maybe years ago but I didn't see anyone having this problem that I am having. Anyway, I was using InDesign along with my online class and everything was working okay, until I did my own assignments by myself and all sudden my textbox is not working. I was told to create a card but everytime I drag and try to use Text the box appears but disappears when I let go of it (dragging) and I try copying and pasting text into my card which it works but it will not let me click in the box.

I was wondering how do I fix this issue because I never had a problem with InDesign especially, when I am in class. Am I missing a step or something? Also, I am new to InDesign and to asking for help in the community hub, I am only a student.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Hi SecretName:

First of all, we are happy to help all users—brand new users with basic questions and advanced users with advanced questions. Feel free to come back, anytime.

I was told to create a card but everytime I drag and try to use Text the box appears but disappears when I let go of it (dragging) and I try copying and pasting text into my card which it works but it will not let me click in the box.

A screen shot of before and after would help clarify the situation. Without one, we have to guess, so...

1. When you draw a new text box (AKA, text frame) with the Type tool, can you actually see the frame edges? When you draw a new text frame that snaps to guides (ruler guides or column guides) the edges will disappear behind the guides. Switching to the Selection tool (the black arrow) and choosing Edit > Select All can expose the frames and their bounding boxes, if they are actually on that page.
  2. Did you draw a frame on a master page, but are currently on a body page?
  3. Is the frame there, but locked? Is the layer locked?

~Barb 

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign Textbox keeps disappearing

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this question might have already been answer maybe years ago but I didn't see anyone having this problem that I am having. Anyway, I was using InDesign along with my online class and everything was working okay, until I did my own assignments by myself and all sudden my textbox is not working. I was told to create a card but everytime I drag and try to use Text the box appears but disappears when I let go of it (dragging) and I try copying and pasting text into my card which it works but it will not let me click in the box.

I was wondering how do I fix this issue because I never had a problem with InDesign especially, when I am in class. Am I missing a step or something? Also, I am new to InDesign and to asking for help in the community hub, I am only a student.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

Hi SecretName:

First of all, we are happy to help all users—brand new users with basic questions and advanced users with advanced questions. Feel free to come back, anytime.

I was told to create a card but everytime I drag and try to use Text the box appears but disappears when I let go of it (dragging) and I try copying and pasting text into my card which it works but it will not let me click in the box.

A screen shot of before and after would help clarify the situation. Without one, we have to guess, so...

1. When you draw a new text box (AKA, text frame) with the Type tool, can you actually see the frame edges? When you draw a new text frame that snaps to guides (ruler guides or column guides) the edges will disappear behind the guides. Switching to the Selection tool (the black arrow) and choosing Edit > Select All can expose the frames and their bounding boxes, if they are actually on that page.

~Barb 

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SecretName:

~Barb 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 1
Guide ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you hold the mouse button and drag an area, you will see a box being created, but you need to have the text tool selected. If you have one of the selection tools (the white or black arrows), dragging with the mouse button down will make a marquee, which looks like a box that disappears when you lift up the mouse button. The marquee is just to show you the area that you are selecting with the select tool, and if there are any objects within the marquee, they will be selected. Could this be your problem?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 0