Indesign thinks a font is missing in Document A but has no problem finding it in Document B

New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a file which I've been working on for days.  Yesterday I exported it without problem to PDF.  I have closed and opened it multiple times.  Suddenly when I open it it throws up a missing font dialogue box for a font that is used in 40+% of the document.  It has never been a problem until now.  I created a new blank file (Document B) and typed into it.  I changed text to the "missing font".  No problem.  I closed and opened Doc B several times and had no problem.  It did *not* throw up a missing font dialogue box.

 

Suggestions?

 

 

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Type

Views

77

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Guide , Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021
This can happen if you have more than one version of a font, like a PostScript and an OpenType that both have the same name. If one goes missing, it will say the font is missing, even though the other font with the same name is still active. You can see what type of font it is in Type>Find/Replace Font. Select a font and hit the More Info button. This might not be the problem you're having, and if not, you may just have a bug in your file. It could be something as small as a space or a paragraph...

Likes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can happen if you have more than one version of a font, like a PostScript and an OpenType that both have the same name. If one goes missing, it will say the font is missing, even though the other font with the same name is still active. You can see what type of font it is in Type>Find/Replace Font. Select a font and hit the More Info button. This might not be the problem you're having, and if not, you may just have a bug in your file. It could be something as small as a space or a paragraph return.

 

To find where it is, make a copy of your document and try to PDF the pages in the first half. If it works, the problem is in the second half. If not, try the second half by itself. When you get half that doesn't work, cut it in half, and so on until you find the page that doesn't work, and then try deleting half of the type. Eventually, you will find the problem, and if you want to be safe, fix it in your original doc, just in case you accidentally deleted something while you were searching.

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU!!!!

Even all that work would have been worthwhile, but it was even easier.  With your insight, I went through Find Font and selected Find First.  When I opened the drop down font list for replace, I found the font.  As you said, it must not have been identifying two different fonts with the same name.  I selected Change, and went on the next one and did the same thing.  Only needed to do it four or five times and everything is copacetic.

Thanks again!

Likes

Translate

Translate

Report

Report
Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines