Highlighted

Indesign Thumbnails for explorer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is this feature? Why isn´t Adobe delivering this simple feature as other software? This would be a great feature for user expierience and I guess, it would be that hard to fix. 

When I ask Adobe for this feature, they recommend me to use a third party app - I don´t want a third party app, I expect this from Adobe for a software that I am paying a lot of money!

So, please - anybody who is in charge, talk about this feature at your next meeting.

Dirk

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Indesign Thumbnails for explorer

Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is this feature? Why isn´t Adobe delivering this simple feature as other software? This would be a great feature for user expierience and I guess, it would be that hard to fix. 

When I ask Adobe for this feature, they recommend me to use a third party app - I don´t want a third party app, I expect this from Adobe for a software that I am paying a lot of money!

So, please - anybody who is in charge, talk about this feature at your next meeting.

Dirk

TOPICS
Creative Cloud

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jan 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Are you asking for thumbnails of the InDesign documents in Windows File Explorer? I think that's an OS issue, but you can go to Help > Submit Feature Request to report it to Adobe Staff. This is a user forum. In the meantime, try using Adobe Bridge, where you will see thumbnails.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you think it's so simple?
If you want previews, use Bridge.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2020 3
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, alas but true: it is simple. That's why there are third party applications which do precisely that.

They don't have to work hard: they all use the simple, basic fact that InDesign already by default stores thumbnails inside its own documents. All they have to do is look them up, once per file, and display them.

Showing per-file thumbnails is a basic feature of both Windows and Mac OS X, so that's not the problem either.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2020 1
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're not already using it, give Bridge a try.  It transforms Windows from being unusable to usable.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2020 0
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting a little carried away there, aren't we?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2020 1
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Third-party applications are a fact of life.

I use the FastPictureViewer Codec to make up for Micrsoft's and Adobe's, etc., etc., lack of concern about thumbnails. I originally purchased it for other reasons than thumbnails for Adobe products (mainly RAW thumbnails and some others). But it also extracts Adobe's thumbnails, including ID's.

At $10, I think it was worth it.

Capture_000396.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2020 1
Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes I export page 1 as a PNG file and let is serve as a side car file with the .indd document.  Sure, it's an extra file sitting around, but it gives you an image thumbnail. 

You may already know this, but you can copy and paste the file path into Bridge go right to where you are in Exploere or the Finder.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 15, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poor - no offical statement from Adobe to that issue. Also poor the tips I got from the community. 
1. NO! it is not an OS-Issue, every "cheap" App is able to make thumbnails, e.g. Corel Draw

2. I submitted the feature to the Adobe Staff, using Request a Featur, after 4 month I got an officeal adobe answer, that I used the wrong forum.. this is ridiculous
3. Bridge sucks, crashes, has no good sharepoint access, and is slow

4. an no! I don´t have the ambition to save files also as a png

I am getting more and more disapointed by ADOBE, nobody really cares about Issues and the only thing Adobe is doing, publishing APPS nobody uses, please concentrate to the APPs peoble uses your service 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 30, 2020 0