Highlighted

InDesign to epub: vector export and file size issues

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to export some books from InDesign (2020) to epub files (fixed layout) for ebook reading. These books are full of simple vector graphics. When I export from InDesign to an epub file it rasterizes all the vector shapes at 300 dpi regardless of how I adjust the conversion settings in the export dialogue. My problem is that Apple iBooks does not allow any images in the file to contain more that 4 million pixels (think area of shape). These books are full of offending files and they all are vectors in my InDesign file. Is there a way to control how vectors are exported? Am I missing something? Or is there a workaround I could implement? I'm at my wit's end and I would appreciate any help!

TOPICS
EPUB, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

InDesign to epub: vector export and file size issues

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to export some books from InDesign (2020) to epub files (fixed layout) for ebook reading. These books are full of simple vector graphics. When I export from InDesign to an epub file it rasterizes all the vector shapes at 300 dpi regardless of how I adjust the conversion settings in the export dialogue. My problem is that Apple iBooks does not allow any images in the file to contain more that 4 million pixels (think area of shape). These books are full of offending files and they all are vectors in my InDesign file. Is there a way to control how vectors are exported? Am I missing something? Or is there a workaround I could implement? I'm at my wit's end and I would appreciate any help!

TOPICS
EPUB, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 14, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume that you are working with an iPad Retina document in InDesign? If so, setting the conversion settings to PNG 72PPI should do the trick.

If not,  would you be able to share a single page with us to investigate further?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are not able to run InDesign on any tablet.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 0
Guide ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

??? I am referring to the document format (which is selected when creating a new document), not a device.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

you could avoid all this and try SVG as file format for placing the simple vector graphics.

Output to EPUB can preserve the vector paths. Read about this here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/import-svg-files.html

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0