Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign to PDF font issues

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having a few issues when publishing to PDF from InDesign. I am publishing for online use and I am using the 'smallest file size' export option.

The attached screen grab was sent to me from a client. The font in question is Helvetica Neue. As you can see, for lack of a better word, it is... wonky.

As well as that, bullet points, aswell hyphens, in most cases, are coming out as small squares.

Oddly, I don't quite have the same viewing issues when viewing on my own computer as the client. In that the bullet points are ok, however, the font is still not coming out quite as it should.

Your_example.png

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Try changing the Smallest File Size, Advanced setting to zero percent instead of 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working on a Mac? Is your client not?

The used "Helvetica Neue" may possibly be OS X's system font. Now usually a "system font" is nothing special (i.e., it's just a regular font, included in the OS because it makes use of it to draw text on screen), but Apple decided your average bog standard off-the-shelves fonts did not offer enough functionality for their taste, so they (*cough*) "enhanced" a couple of of them with non-standard functions. Their version of Helvetica Neue has caused problems with other software as well; it's not only with Adobe's.

If this sounds familiar, acquire a 'regular' Helvetica Neue and use that instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try changing the Smallest File Size, Advanced setting to zero percent instead of 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the tip about reducing the subset font percentage! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines