• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign unable to update linked files

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on files on a shared network (Google Drive). Recently InDesign ceased to be able to update links (Photoshop documents). To update a modified link—a .psd file for instance, I have to quit Photoshop, then quit InDesign and update the link as the document opens. 

The first symptom is that the update icon in the links panel is grayed-out. 

When I attempt to "update all links" in the links panel, this is the error message I get. 

"The file is already open by another user or another application. This file may be stored on a network server and cannot be opened until the other user closes it."

I know for a fact I'm the only one using these files, so the error message is erroneous. Is there a helper app that is conflicting with Google Drive somehow? 

Thank you for any input you may have. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We'll be happy to help. Would you like to share some more details like:

1. Version of OS.

2. Apart from you, is there any other user who has the same error coming up trying to access files on Google drive?

2. A screenshot or a small video of the procedure you are following to update links.

3. Save the file on Local Hard-drive and check if it is working alright.

All this information will help us understand the issue better.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same problem.

In answer to your questions:

1. Catalina OS

2.  The other user on my network is having the same problem as me

3. See screenshot attached

4. If I save the file to my local hard drive it bizarrely updates the Google Drive link. I don't have to relink it to the hard drive file. 

Thanks for your help. Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,

JoeScreenshot 2019-11-06 at 10.41.09.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue when I updated either to the latest indesign (also running catalina). Just me using and accessing Google File Stream. 

Saving locally isn't a workable solution as I am reliant on backups to the cloud to access wherever. Not had an issue before this Indesign update.

Thanks

Verity

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Onedrive or Dropbox to eliminate google as the issue. There have been quite a few reports of problems with gDrive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Google Drive is shared by dozens of users. I'm not able to move away
from that solution.

*Matthew McKern*
Senior Designer, Communications
Whitman College
34 Boyer Avenue (Boyer House), #103
Walla Walla, WA 99362
509-527-4966
*mckernjm@whitman.edu *

[image: Whitman College website]

[image: Whitman College on Facebook]
[image: Whitman College on
Instagram] [image: Whitman
College on Twitter] [image: Whitman
College on YouTube]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use it so I don't know about features there, but there have been recent issues with Dropbox since they added a cloud only feature that forces a download only when accessing the files.
Check to see if you have that kind of thing and if so, turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue (MacOS Catalina Version 10.15.3). Is there a solution other than not using Google Drive filestream? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2020 Mar 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am having the same issue since upgrading to Catalina. I have to quit Indesign and reopen the file to update. It's really annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS = Catalina 10.15.1 and 10.15.2

There was a suggestion to try OneDrive, but I'm working on a shared drive in a team situation, so OneDrive isn't an option. 

To update a linked image
• I start by quitting Photoshop
• then quit InDesign
• restart InDesign
• choose "update linked files"

If that doesn't work
• I restart Photoshop
• Open, modify, close and save the linked file
• quit InDesign
• choose "update linked files"

Worth noting: This problem does not occur with Illustrator files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am having this exact same problem, using Google File Stream. It has only started in the last month or so. It's also not an option for me to move away from Google File Stream.

I've been solving the problem by clicking "relink file," right clicking the file in the dialog box and renaming it, then relinking to the renamed file, which seems to trick InDesign into thinking it's a new file. But since my workflow involves a lot of flipping back and forth between modifying images in Photoshop and seeing how the changes look in an InDesign layout this is an untenable solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add that I'm having this same problem. The extra time adds up when you have to relink files instead of just updating. I do find that occasionally – not always – the links do eventually update themselves, but that's not a long term solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sane goes for me. As a designer it is very annyoing that modified PSD take that long to update in Indesign. The extra time does add up. Has anyone found the solution yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on this initial reply?

Is this issue to be fixed? Is it on the radar?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, wondering this as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here - same specs as all above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this exact issue, and it's incredibly frustrating

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issue as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Microsoft Teams and I have been sucessful at embedding documents galore into a InDesign document. I wonder of there is an issue with gdrive etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, same message etc. It's driving me bananas... I also can't save to HD or re-name everytime, to much back and forth and I don't have time, that's just a short-term fix.  Adobe, take to me, are we any closer to getting a solution to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. I also use google stream. 

One thing I've noticed is it's not only affecting indesign. It's also affecting Cinema 4D when I modify custom textures in photoshop then re-import into c4d, the materials don't update to reflect the updated file. This issue started once I updated to Mac OS Catalina, so I'm assuming the issue isn't with Adobe, it's either between Catalina or Google... hoping for a resolve quickly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having update issues native illustrator to indesign doesn't update when illustrator file changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same problem just with the file linked to the external HDD. It's a really bad problem which needs to be solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best bet with composite OLE documents is using a shared server environment where multiple staff are working on components. This is more or less what Microsoft Sharepoint was doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having exactly the same problem. Is there a fix for this yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines