• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign unable to update linked files

Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2019 Oct 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on files on a shared network (Google Drive). Recently InDesign ceased to be able to update links (Photoshop documents). To update a modified link—a .psd file for instance, I have to quit Photoshop, then quit InDesign and update the link as the document opens. 

The first symptom is that the update icon in the links panel is grayed-out. 

When I attempt to "update all links" in the links panel, this is the error message I get. 

"The file is already open by another user or another application. This file may be stored on a network server and cannot be opened until the other user closes it."

I know for a fact I'm the only one using these files, so the error message is erroneous. Is there a helper app that is conflicting with Google Drive somehow? 

Thank you for any input you may have. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I can see. Still an issue for me, I am having to change the file name and re-import if I make any tweaks to images. Such a waste of my time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this same problem, but with Illustrator and OneDrive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. I can't update all links and have to quite photoshop and indesign to update the links. I just updated to Big Sur for the Mac thinking that would solve the problem, but no. I'm also using indesign 2021, and just updated it yesterday thinking it could solve the problem. I'm also using a thumb drive for my indesign files, so I'm not sharing my files with anyone on a server or the cloud. Any ideas to solve this issue is appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that the problem is within InDesign as the issue surfaces with Windows and OS X alike.

Guess that means its time to load up twitter and pester @abobe and see if they can get around to it 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2020 Dec 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Any chance of a patch on the horizon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem with my InDesign as ALL the others describe. I also use GoogleDrive. It has been a problem for a very long time. When are you going to look into the problem - it is very confusing for all of us, who use InDesign as the most important tool. Please give us a reply...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is imperative with any cloud service to have any smart sync feature turned OFF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I check up on that? Where in InDesign can I find out if I have any smart sync features turned on? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't check InDesign...that is a feature of the cloud storage. What it does is show you the files in Explorer or Finder but the files are only stored in the cloud. When you need them they're downloaded. That can cause issues with applications like InDesign which can time out waiting for them and throw an error at you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not the issue here. If you read the original post, the issue is that if you make changes to a linked file (e.g. a PSD) and then go over to InDesign and attempt to update the link, it fails to update. The problem isn't that the file isn't downloaded, since this occurs immediately with files you have made edits to (before they've even been uploaded to the cloud). This also occurs with files that have been set to "Make available offline" in Google Drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm locking this thread. It's well over a year old and is covering way too many topics. If you have an issue with the current version of InDesign then create a new discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines