• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign v.16 update lost my preferences and rendered my Windows jumplist usesless

Participant ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though I checked the box to preserve my settings.

I am so aggravated that I had to spend a half a day restoring and reconfiguring my workflow just for an update. Not pleased to pay a monthly fee for something that ends up wasting my precious time.

Thanks for the opportunity to vent ...

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Hi @FloridaGal:

Between my own upgrade experiences and those I help here on the forums, I have also concluded that it is better to recreate preferences than to migrate them from the old version.

But I am talking preferences and not my saved Find/Change queries, style mapping presets, scripts, TOC styles, etc. Those presets all live in folders on our hard drives and I just copy them to the same folder for the next version. I upgraded last week, and was fully up and running within about 15-20

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is still a good idea to upgrade, but not migrate settings from the previous one to the new one. Less weird problems when done that way. But yes, you have to comb through it all and set things up again! It takes awhile!

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your time, it's amazing it's that counterintuitive.

The checkbox shouldn't be offered if the d**n rhing doesn't work and actally creates problems. Or at least come with a warning ... Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @FloridaGal:

Between my own upgrade experiences and those I help here on the forums, I have also concluded that it is better to recreate preferences than to migrate them from the old version.

But I am talking preferences and not my saved Find/Change queries, style mapping presets, scripts, TOC styles, etc. Those presets all live in folders on our hard drives and I just copy them to the same folder for the next version. I upgraded last week, and was fully up and running within about 15-20 minutes after installation was complete. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, appreciate your time and response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines